Bạn đang xem bản rút gọn của tài liệu. Xem và tải ngay bản đầy đủ của tài liệu tại đây (322.26 KB, 24 trang )
Ôn tập từ vựng Unit 7 – Unit 12
UNIT 7 TRAFFIC
1. IT indicating distance
Sử dụng “it” làm chủ ngữ để chỉ khoảng cách
Ex: It is about 300 meters from my house to the bus stop.
2. Used to
Sử dụng “used to” để mô tả một hành động, một thói quen hoặc một việc xảy ra thường
xun trong q khứ nhưng bây giờ khơng cịn nữa
(+)S + used to + V ( nguyên mẫu)
(-) S+ did not used to + V (nguyên mẫu)
(?) Did + S + use to + V ( nguyên mẫu)
3. Pronunciation /e/ và /ei/
Lưu ý Say /sei/ Says /sez/ Said /sed/
UNIT 8 FILMS
1. Tính từ “ed” và “ing”
Một tính từ có thể được thành lập bằng cách thêm “ed” hoặc “ing” sau động từ
Ví dụ Interest -> interested, interesting Disappoint -> disappointed, disappointing
- Sử dụng tính từ đuôi “ed” để mô tả cảm giác, cảm xúc của một ai khi bị một sự việc, vật
Ví dụ: The film was long, and I was bored
- Sử dụng tính từ đi “ing” để mơ tả về tính chất của vật việc
Ví dụ The film was boring.
2. Từ nối ALTHOUGH, DESPITE/INSPITE OF, HOWEVER, NEVERTHELESS
Although/ though/ even though/ much as + mệnh đề// Despite / in spite of + cụm
Tuy nhiên Mệnh đề. However/ Nevertheless,(dấu phẩy) mệnh đề
3. Phát âm khi thêm “ed” sau động từ
/t/ sau các âm vô thanh /ʧ/, /s/, /k/, /f/, /p/, /θ/, /∫/
/d/ sau các âm hữu thanh
/id/ sau /t/, /d/
UNIT 9 FESTIVALS AROUND THE WORLD
1. Câu hỏi với H/WH
Các từ để hỏi Who, Why, Which, Whose, What, When, Where, How
1. DÙNG VỚI ĐỘNG TỪ “ TOBE”
WH+ BE +S + COMPLEMENT ?
EX: What are you doing?, where is she?, when were we silent?...
2. DÙNG VỚI ĐỘNG TỪ THƯỜNG.
WH + DO, DOES/ DID+ S + Vo?
EX: Where do you go?, What does she study?, When did they begin?...
3. ĐỐI VỚI CÁC THÌ HỒN THÀNH
WH + HAS, HAVE/ HAD +S +V3/ED?
EX: Why has she gone to school?, What had you eaten?...
4. ĐỐI VỚI “ MODAL VERBS” HAY WILL, SHALL, WOULD, SHOULD( May, can,
must, could, might, ought to, have to là modal vers)
WH + MODAL VERBS + S + VO?
EX: Why must you go?, where may she come?, what can she do?, What will she
How much + N( không đếm được ln ở số ít) EX: how much money have you got?
How many +N( đếm được ở số nhiều) EX: how many students are there in your class?
How far: bao xa, how long : bao lâu, how often : mấy lần, thường không, how old : bao
2. Cụm trạng ngữ
Sử dụng các cụm trạng ngữ chỉ thời gian, nơi chốn, mục đích để làm rõ nghĩa của câu.
- Cụm trạng ngữ chỉ thời gian: Last December, every year..
- Cụm trạng ngữ chỉ nơi chốn: In HCMC, at home…
- Cụm trạng ngữ chỉ much đích: to say thanks for what they have
- Cụm trạng ngữ bổ sung: with apricot blossoms.
3. Pronunciation : 2 syllables Danh từ, tính từ: nhấn âm 1 Động từ: nhấn âm
UNIT 10: SOURCES OF ENERGY
1. Thì tương lai tiếp diễn
Diễn tả một sự việc ĐANG xảy ra tại một thời điểm xác định trong TƯƠNG LAI
(+)S + will be+ V-ing (-) S+ will not be + V-ing (?) Will + S + be + V-ing?
Will not = won’t
Will = shall ( sử dụng cho chủ ngữ I, We)
2. Bị động của thì tương lai đơn
(+)S + will be+ V3 (-) S+ won’t be + V3 (?) Will + S + be V3?
- Sử dụng thể bị động khi tân ngữ của câu không quan trọng hoặc không biết ai là người
thực hiện hành động, nếu người thực hiện vẫn quan trong thì thêm sau “by”
- Sử dụng thể bị động khi muốn nhấn mạnh vật, việc được tác động.
3. Pronunciation 3 syllables
1. Will (review)
Sử dụng will để đưa ra một dự đoán trong tương lai.
2. Đại từ sỡ hữu
Pronouns I YOU WE THEY HE SHE IT
MY YOUR OUR THEIR HIS HER ITS
MINE YOURS OURS THEIRS HIS HERS ITS
Đại từ sở hữu dùng để thay thế cho tính từ sở hữu và danh từ khi không muốn lặp lại
Ex: It’s my book ===> It’ s mine.(= my book)
----They' re her keys ===> They' re hers.(= her keys)
Như vậy ta phải nói danh từ đó trước rồi mới thay thế.
Lưu ý, vì đại từ sở hữu đã thay thế danh từ nên sẽ khơng bao giờ có danh từ sau đại từ sở
Ex: My father is tall. Theirs (= their father) is short.
3. Ngữ điệu trong câu hỏi
Câu hỏi Yes/No: Lên giọng ở cuối câu.// Câu hỏi H/ WH: hạ giọng ở cuối câu.
Câu hỏi đuôi: hạ giọng cuối câu đề tìm kiếm sự động tình// Lên giọng ở cuối
câu để hỏi.
UNIT 12 AN OVERCROWDED WORLD
1. So sánh số lượng Little -> less Few -> Fewer Many ,much -> more
Số lượng Ít hơn: S+ V+ less + N (không đếm được)/// S+ V+ fewer + N ( đếm
Số lượng nhiều hơn: S+ V+ more ( danh từ đếm được và không đếm được)
2. Câu hỏi đuôi
1. Câu giới thiệu khẳng định, phần hỏi đuôi phủ định.
Câu giới thiệu phủ định, phần hỏi đuôi khẳng định
2. Phần đuôi chỉ sử dụng các đại từ : I, you, we, they, he, she, it, there
3. Phần đuôi luôn ở dạng viết tắt
Các trường hợp cụ thể
Hiện tại đơn với TO BE:
- he is handsome, is he? = Anh ấy đẹp trai, đúng không?
– You are worry, aren’t you? = Bạn đang lo lắng, phải không?
Hiện tại đơn động từ thường: mượn trợ động từ DO hoặc DOES tùy theo chủ ngữ
- They like me, don’t they?
– she loves you, doesn’t she?
Thì quá khứ đơn với động từ thường: mượn trợ động từ DID, quá khứ đơn với TO BE:
WAS hoặc WERE:
Thì hiện tại hồn thành hoặc hiện tại hồn thành tiếp diễn: mượn trợ động từ HAVE
- They have left, haven’t they? – The rain has stopped, hasn’t they?
Thì tương lai đơn - It will rain, won’t it?
3. Nhấn âm ( review)
5 NGUYÊN TẮC – 2 LƯU Ý
1. NGUYÊN TẮC 1: 2 âm tiết
Danh từ, tính từ: 1st Động từ: 2nd
Nếu động từ tận bằng các ấm “ngắn” và “nhẹ” : ow, el, er… thì nhấn âm cịn lại
2. NGUN TẮC 2: 3 âm tiết
Danh từ, tính từ : 1st
Các động từ 3 âm tiết có âm tiết cuối chưa nguyên âm dài hoặc nguyên âm đôi hoặc kết
thúc nhiều hơn một phụ âm thì âm tiết đầu nhận trọng âm.
Nếu âm tiết cuối chứa nguyên âm ngắn ow, el, er… hoặc kết thúc không nhiều hơn một
nguyên âm thì âm tiết thứ 2 sẽ nhận trọng âm.
3. NGUYÊN TẮC 3: Từ ghép
Danh từ, tính từ: 1st Động từ: 2nd
4. NGUYÊN TẮC 4: từ 3 âm tiết trở lên Nhấn âm thứ 3 từ sau tính đến trước.
5. NGUYÊN TẮC 5: HẬU TỐ.
Các từ chứa các hậu tố sau đây âm nhấn rơi vào âm trước nó.
Lưu ý 1: các hậu tố không
ảnh hưởng đến âm nhấn của
I. Choose the word having different stress from the others.
1. A. harvest B. parade C. music D. pumpkin
2. A. offer B. prefer C. abroad D. arrive
3. A. famous B. joyful C. usual D. alone
4. A. exist B. avoid C. support D. notice
5. A. hungry B. disease C. spacious D. danger
6. A. favourite B. pollution C. imagine D. exhausted
7. A. energy B. plentiful C. disappear D. celebrate
8. A. recycle B. description C. contribute D. atmosphere
II. Find the word which has a different sound in the part underlined
1. A. perform B. end C. festival D. elephant
2. A. cake B. celebrate C. racing D. candle
3. A. desert B. held C. prefer D. celebrate
4. A. those B. they C. than D. Thanksgiving
5. A. cranberry B. lantern C. gather D. apricot
6. A. abundant B. travelling C. character D. biogas
7. A. diverse B. drive C. invention D. crime
VOCABULARY AND GRAMMAR
I. Choose and circle the best answer.
1. Many (cultural/ romance/ disappointed/ annoyed) and artistic activities are held as the
part of the flower festival in Da Lat.
2. Wind, hydro and solar are (modern/ renewable/ non-renewable/ new) energy sources.
3. Nick washes his hand a lot, (so/ and/ but/ although) he doesn’t have flu.
4. At a seasonal festival, people race down the hill to (break/ catch/ buy/ eat) cheese.
5. (When/ How/ Why/ Where) were you born? – In March
6. We will cut down on the use of natural gas because it is (plenty/ limited / available /
abundant ) & harmful to the environment.
7. Some new energy-saving bulbs (will put /will be putting/will be put /will being put)
in the dining-room.
8. Which of the following is NOT non-renewable source of energy ?
A. oil B. wind C. natural gas D. coal
9. The end of the film was so _____________ that many people cried.
A. boring B. shocking C. exciting D. Moving
10. A ___________ is a film that tries to make audiences laugh.
A. sci-fi B. documentary C. comedy D. horror
11. I found the book so ____________ that I couldn’t take my eyes off the screen.
A. gripping B. shocking C. tiring D. boring
12. We found the plot of the film__________.
A. bored B. boring C. interested D. acting
II. Put the verbs in correct tenses.
2. Don’t phone me between 7 and 8. We (have) ……….………….. dinner then.
3. I (send) ……….. you my book tomorrow.
5. We hope the new Director (find) ……….. more jobs for his employees.
6. Nam is a hard-working student. He (pass) ….…………. the exam easily this year.
6. What …………..you (do) ……….. when you graduate from the University?
7. Next week we (have) …..……… many kinds of examinations. It (be) …………
a very busy week, I think.
8. In the future, most of Vietnamese people (be able) ……. (speak) …English well.
9. Next week at this time, you (lie) ……….………….. on the beach.
10. …………..You (meet) ………..your former teacher at 9 am tomorrow?
III. Complete the following sentences with the correct form of the words in
1. There are many ... differences between the two communities.
2. Street are decorated with lights and red banners. (colour)
3. Margaret Thatcher. (perform)
4. There were lively New Year all over the town. (celebrate)
5. When we heard she’d got the job, we all went off for a ... drink. (celebrate)
6. It is in America to eat turkey on Thanksgiving Day. (tradition)
7. What forms of do you participate in during the festival? (entertain)
8. The hall looked verywith its Christmas tree. (festival)
9. Her eyes were wide with when she heard the news. (excite)
10. The Chinese New Year marks the...of spring and the start of the Lunar
New Year. (begin)
IV. Put question for the underlined part of each sentence:
1. It is 10 kilometers from here to ACB bank.
2. I have known Marie for nine years.
3. Yes, they used to be friends at the university.
4. Sarah left two hours ago.
5. She is watching Tom and Jerry.
6. It is an action film.
7. She likes watching comedy.
8. It starts Lee Min Hoo and Jun Ji Huyn.
9. I felt terrified before my last Maths test.
10. She felt entertained when she watched a gripping film.
I. Read the following passage and decide if it is T or F.
Many people still believe that natural resources will never be used up. Actually,
the world’s energy resources are limited. Nobody knows exactly how much fuel is left.
However, we also should use them economically and try to find out alternative sources of
power. According to Professor Marvin Burnharm of the New England Institude of
However, many people do not approve of using nuclear power because it’s very
dangerous. What would happen if there was a serious nuclear accident? Radioactivity
causes cancer and may badly affect the future generations.
The most effective thing is that we should use natural resources as economical as possible.
Statements T/ F
1. Natural resources will run out.
2. The world’s energy resources are unlimited.
3. We know exactly how much fuel is left.
4. We should use fuel economically.
5. According to Professor Marvin Burnham, nuclear power will be used as a
6. Many people disagree to use nuclear power as an alternative energy.
7. Radioactivity from nuclear power causes cancer and may have bad effect on
the future generations.
8. Natural resources should be used as economical as possible.
II. Read the passage then answer the questions.
Vietnam’s New Year is celebrated according to the Lunar calendar. It is especially
known as Tet Nguyen Dan, or Tet. It begins between January twenty- first and February
nineteen. The exact date changes from year to year. Vietnamese people usually make
preparations for the holiday several weeks beforehand. They tidy their houses, cook
special food, clean and make offerings on the family altars. On the New Year’s Eve,
people sit up to midnight to see New Year in, then they put on new clothes and give one
another the greetings of the season. Tet lasts ten days. The first three days are the most
important. Vietnamese people believe that how people act during those days will
influence the whole year. As a result, they make every effort to avoid arguments and
smile as much as possible.
1. What is Vietnam’s New Year known as?
2. Is Tet celebrated according to the Lunar calendar? →……….………
3. When does the Lunar New Year begin?
4. What do Vietnamese people usually do to prepare for Tet?
5. Do people sit up to midnight on the New Year’s Eve?
6. Does Tet last five days? →………..………..
7. Why are the first three days the most important?
III. Read the following passage, then choose a word from the box and write the
correct word next to numbers 1-5. There is one exemple.
and water power rely on turbines which (4)...noisy, expensive and which take up
large space. Solar cells are totally silent and (5)... As they have no moving
parts, they require little maintenance and have a long lifetime.
I. Rewrite the sentences so that they have the same meaning as the original ones.
1. We will use renewable energy in the future.
→ Renewable energy ……….………..…
2. This is our school.
→ This school is ………..……….…
3. What is the distance between Vinh and Ha Noi city?
4. I often walked to school when I was a student.
5. Although they are short, they still love playing sports.
In spite of………
6. They will use solar energy to protect the environment.
Solar energy ………..
7. Although she eats lots of food, she is still very slim.
->In spite of ………..
8. What is the distance between Hanoi and HCM city?
How far ………..?
9. I find English interesting. → I am ………..…
10. Our roof will be fixed tomorrow. → They………..
11.They will show flying cars to the public when they finish it.
Flying cars ………..
12.They will install solar panels on the roof of our house next week.
Solar panels ………
13.We will be using biogas for cooking and heating at this time next month.
14.People won’t burn fossil fuels for energy in the future.
Fossil fuels ………
15.New York has more billionaires than Tokyo. (FEWER)
16.A group of foreigners visited the slums last week, didn’t they? (VISIT)
17.The countryside doesn’t suffer as much pollution as the city. (LESS)
18Jakarta doesn’t have as many skyscrapers as Shanghai. (MORE)
19Let’s go to the school cafeteria. (ABOUT)
20 It’s necessary for the government to find a solution to reduce traffic jams. (using
21.They built the first hydroelectric power plant at Niagara in 1879.( change into passive voice)
II. Rearrange the words to make meaningful sentences.
1. Solar energy/ in the world/ by many countries/ will be used/.
2. to another/ How/ you travel from / will/ one place/?
3. to save/ will reduce/ our energy/ the use of electricity/ We/.
4. traffic/ are/ rush-hours/ always/ There/ jams/ during.
III. Complete the following tag questions.
1. There’s a new cartoon, ……….?
2. They don’t want to sell their house, ………?
3. This machine never works very well,………?
4. Your parents should stay in the hotel,………?
5. We can’t go camping today,………..?
* Change the sentences into the passive voice.
1.They will build a hydropower station in the North of the country next year.
A hydropower station...
2.They sell these chemicals everywhere in my hometown.
3.My children will turn off the lights when going to bed.
The lights ...
III. Write a short passage about what we should do to save energy/ save
environment/ festival/trafic/ favorite film/ travelling in the future
I. Find the word with the different underlined sound.
1. A. washed B. needed C. danced D. matched
2. A. obey B. key C. grey D. survey
3. A. ways B. days C. says D. stays
II. Find the word which has a different stress pattern from the others. (0,5 marks)
4. A. common B. happy C. complete D. joyful
5. A. dangerous B. expensive C. enormous D. convenient
III. Choose the correct option A,B,C,D to complete the sentences.
6. The film was so boring . . . , Jack saw it from beginning to end.
A. Therefore B. However C. Although D. Despite
7. I . . . go on foot when I was in primary school.
A. have to B. used to C. can D. may
8. Does your bike ever . . . down on the way to school?
A. break B. take C. do D. turn
9. The boys. . . home for lunch because they are planning to visit the hydro-power
A. have not come B. do not come C. will not be coming D. is not coming
10. Will you . . . a taxi or a train?
A. drive B. fly C. walk D. take
11. . . the film is a bit frighting, I really enjoyed it.
A. However B. Nevertheless C. Although D. Despite
12. We will go on holiday with some friends of . . .
A. our B. ours C. us D. we
13. Don't read in bed, . . . you'll harm your eyes.
A. or B. and C. but D. so
14. I . . . playing board games interesting because I can play them with my friends.
A. think B. find C. say D. tell
15. Before moving to Hanoi, my parents . . . in Hai Phong.
A. have lived B. lived C. live D. have been living
16. My friend has decided to use . . . electricity by using more solar energy instead.
A. more B. less C. much D. fewer
A. any B. a lot C. an D. a
18. A new university . . . in my town in the near future.
A. is built B. will be built C. was built D. has been
19. . . ! Can you tell me the way to the food shop?
A. Thank you B. All right C. Listen D. Excuse me
20.The city will have to find a solution to reduce traffic jam, . . . ?
A. does it B. won't it C. will it D. doesn't it
IV. Read the passage and choose the correct answer.
Easter is an important Christian festival and holiday. It is (21) . . . to celebrate
the resurrection of Jesus Christ.People celebrate Easter (22) . . . the world.
In the UK, Easter is a public holiday. People (23) . . . Easter chocolate eggs to
their friends and family. In the US, Easter is a (24) . . . holiday. People can go to
special family meal. In Russia, Easter is one of the (25) . . . . important holidays.
celebrate it (26) . . . an Easter breakfast or meal.
21. A. made B. held C. given D. opened
22. A. through B. in C. all D. around
23. A. eat B. have C. give D. receive
24. A. nation B. local C. native D. national 25. A.
more B. best C. most D. better
26. A. with B. by C. for D. in
V. Rewrite the sentences so that it stays the same meaning.
27.The distance from Ho Chi Minh city to Phu Quoc Island is about 300km.
28. Road users should obey traffic rules strictly.
29. Be careful or you'll hurt yourself.
If you are .
VI. Rearrange the words to make meaningful sentences.
30. this time tomorrow/ English/ They/ will/ be learning.
32. people/ until/ flying cars/ use/ won't/ year 2050.
I.Listen carefully and choose the best answer (A, B or C) to complete each sentence.
1. How does Joshua go to school in Japan? A. He takes a school bus every morning
B. He rides the subway at 8:00 AM. C. He walks with a group of students.
2. Which item did Joshua NOT mention when talking about the things he takes to school?
A. backpack B. gym clothes C. school hat
3. What is one of the first things Joshua does when he arrives at school?
A. He practices his reading and writing. B. He stands and bows to the teacher.
C. He puts on his gym clothes for class.
4. Where does Joshua eat lunch at school?
A. in his classroom B. in the lunchroom C. in the gymnasium
5. What time does Joshua probably get home from school most days?
A. between 1:00 PM and 2:00 PM B. between 2:00 PM and 3:00 PM
C. between 3:00 PM and 4:00 PM
II. Find the word with the different underlined sound.
6. A. washed B. needed C. danced D. matched
7. A. obey B. key C. grey D. survey
8. A. ways B. days C. says D. stays
II. Find the word which has a different stress pattern from the others.
9. A. prefer B. finish C. complete D. begin
10. A. dangerous B. important C. enormous D. convenient
III. Choose the correct option A, B, C, D to complete the sentences.
11. The University of Indochina . . . . . in Hanoi in 1906.
A. built B. was built C. has built D. has been
12. Last year, we participated in . . . . . funds for street children.
13. The doctor says my father will become ill . . . . . he stops smoking.
A. until B. when C. unless D. if
14. We . . . . . to school two years ago. Now I go to school on foot.
A. used to cycle B. cycled C. was cycling D.
15. . . . . . the silly story, many people enjoyed the film.
A. Although B. Inspite of C. However D.
16. A friend of . . . . . is coming to stay with me next month.
A. me B. my C. I D. mine
17. Traffic accidents can be prevented if people . . . . . the rules.
A. remember B. obey C. go after D. take care
18. I’m sure you’ll find the film . . . . .
A. amuse B. amusing C. amused D.
19. Vanilla Sky . . . Tom Cruise, Peslelope Cruz and Cameron Diaz.
A. acts B. plays C. stars D.
20. Give a . . . before you turn left or right.
A. sign B. turn C. sound
21. On Thanhksgiving, families and friends . . . . . to have a feast.
A. meet B. arrive C. gather D. appear
22. The end of the film was so . . . . .
A. moved B. moving C. move D. moveable
23. Look at the photo! You’re . . . . . a horse!
A. driving B. flying C. riding D. lying
A. cycle B. will cycle C. will be cycling D. will be
25. In the green future, vehicles will be powered by . . . . .
A. solar energy B. coal C. gas D.
IV. Read the passage and choose the correct answer.
SAFETY TIPS FOR BUS PASSENGERS
Always maintain a queue while waiting (26) . . . . . s bus. Never stand on queue
on the middle of the road.
At the time of boarding a bus do not try to run or chasing the bus. Once you are
inside the bus (27) . . . a seat and hold firmly on the handrail if you are standing.
Never try to (28) . . . . . an overcrowded bus. Avoid (29) . . . . . inside of a bus
because you high-pitch noise may distract the attention of the driver and it could lead to a
major (30) . . . . . accidents.
26. A. for B. to C. on D. in
27. A. hold B. take C. sit D. find
28. A. choose B. go C. wait D. board
29. A. shout B. shouting C. to shout D. shouts
30. A. road B. way C. path
V. Rewrite the sentences so that it stays the same meaning.
31. Our teacher is always a careful driver.
Our teacher always drives . . . .
32. Be careful or you’ll fall off your bicycle.
If you are not . . . .
33. My mother washed clothes by hand last year, but now she no longer does it.
My mother used . . .
34. Is Shanghai the largest city in population?
35. The film is very interesting.
I am interested . . . .
VI. Make questions for the underlined parts of the following sentences.
36. The flower festival is celebrated every year.
37. We always have turkey on Thanksgiving.
38. Peter went to Da Nang last month with his parents.
39. These are my brother’s pictures.
40. The Elephant Race Festival will be held in Don Village next year.
I. Choose the best answer: (2ms)
1. Find the word which is pronounced differently in the past underlined.
A. played B. closed C. filled D. needed
2. Choose the word which has a different stress pattern from the others.
A. dangerous B. expensive C. enormous D. convenient
3. “Do you feel like seeing a film?” – “...”
A. Thanks a lot. B. Sure. What film shall we see?
C. Who is in it? D. No, I don’t like it at all.
4. At 6.30 tomorrow, you ... to school.
A. cycle B. will cycle C. will be cycling D. will be cycled
5. ...the silly story, many people enjoyed the film.
A. Although B. Despite of C. In spite of D. However
6. A friend of ... is coming to stay with her next week.
A. me B. her C. hers D. my
7. Nuclear power ... in the future.
A. will there B. will it C. won’t they D. won’t there
9. Driverless cars have already , and they look so cool.
A.gone B.travelled C.exist D.existed
10. If I have a jet pack. I will use to fly anywhere easily.
A.my B. mine C. his D. their
11. I think teleportation is only .
A.imagine B.imaginary C.imaginable D.imagining
12. they spent a lot of money on the film, it wasn’t a big success.
A.However B.Nevertheless C.When D.Although
13. Last night, I didn’t go to bed early being very tired.
A.despite of B.in spite of C.although D.because of
14. Not many people went to see the film; , it received good reviews from critics.
A.however B.despite C.but D.although
15. We found the plot of the film .
A.bored B.boring C.interested D.acting
16. Sidewalks are to moving walkways in airports.
A.familiar B.similar C.different D.same
17. La Tomatina on the last Wednesday of August every year.
A. hold B. held C. is held D. be held
18.We can the problem of energy shortage by using solar energy.
A.carry out B.get C.recover D.solve
II. Look at the pictures and write the meaning of these signs.
1……… 2……… 3……...………… 4………....………
I. Fill in each blank with one suitable from the box to complete the passage: (1,5m)
foods - take– after - most - to - forget -
I think Tet holiday is the (1) ……… important celebration in Vietnam
because it is an occasion for family-reunion, for human love and for better hope. All of us
seem to (2) ... the hatred, bad lucks and then try to be nice (3) ………
others. Everyone is eager to (4) ………… part in many special activities, which are
expected to bring good lucks and success in the New Year. Tet is also the time for us to
relax and enjoy our special (5) ………, warm family atmosphere (6)………a
II. Read the passage and answer the questions: (1,5m)
Are you looking for a cheap, clean, effective source of power that doesn't cause
pollution or waste natural resource? Look no further than solar energy from the Sun.
At present, most of our electricity comes from the use of coal and gas, oil or
nuclear power. This power could be provided by the Sun. One percent of the solar energy
that reaches the Earth is enough to provide power for the total population.
Many countries are already using solar energy. Solar panels are placed on the
roofs of a house and the Sun's energy is used to heat water .The energy can be stored a
number of days, so on cloudy days you can use solar energy, too.
1. Is the solar energy an effective source of power?
2. Where are the solar panels placed?
3. Is the solar energy used in Vietnam now?
D. WRITING (2MS)
Do as directed in the brackets.
1. It takes about 15 minutes to get to the school. (Write the question for the underlined
2. Despite her young age, she performs excellently. (Rewrite the sentence, using the word
3. Children/ must/ learn/ road safety/ before/ allowed/ ride/ bike/ road/./ (Write the
sentence, using the cues given)
5. I usually stayed up late to watch football matches last year, but now I don’t.(using used to …..)
6. They built this house in 1879.( change into passive voice)
6. The weather was bad but I had a very good time in Brazil.(Using although….)
7. What is the distance between your house and the nearest supermarket?. (Using How …)
9. Keep the environment clean or we will suffer from pollution.(using if….)
B. Write a paragraph about the traffic problems where you live or in a town or a city you know well.
( about 80-100 words)
I. Read the conversation, and then answer the questions.
Susan: Sorry, guys, the Batman film’s sold out. Which film will we see instead?
Linda: How about this? It’s called Girl of my Dreams. It’s about a young man who dreamtabout a perfect
girl. The next day he went to the bookshop where he met a girl called Nina.
Nick: That’s a love story. No, thank you!
Paul: What about Journey into Space? It’s about some spacemen who go to Mars.
Linda: Mm. It doesn’t sound very exciting. Is there anything else on?
Susan: How about The Pyramid? It’s a horror film about a monster in an Egyptianpyramid which comes
Paul: OK, that’s better. Shall I get the tickets?
2. Why can’t they see it?
3. Which films do Linda, Paul, and Susan suggest that they see?
4. What types of film are they?
5. Which film do they agree to see?
II. Read the passage, and then answer the questions.
Pirates of the Caribbean
Captain Jack Sparrow is a pirate. He has a ship called the Black Pearl. One day, he goes to Jamaica, where
he sees a beautiful woman, Elizabeth. Then Jack meets Will, who loves Elizabeth too. Jack, Will, and Elizabeth
look for pirate treasure. The treasure is on the island Isla de Muerta. They must fight the pirate Captain
Barbarossa, who has the treasure. Captain Jack wins and they all go back to Jamaica. There, Elizabeth tells Will
1. Is Captain Jack sparrow a pirate? What is the name of his ship?
2. Who loves Elizabeth? _____________________________________________________________________
3. Who has the treasure? _____________________________________________________________________
4. Who wins the treasure? ____________________________________________________________________
5. Who does Elizabeth love? __________________________________________________________________
III.Read the film review, and then answer the questions.
A Kid in King Arthur’s Court is directed by Michael Gottlieb. The main
character in the film is a teenager called Calvin Fuller. Calvin is played by
Thomas Ian Nicholas. This film is a modem retelling of Mark Twain’s classic
book Connecticut Yankee.
Calvin lives in California, USA. He is a very shy boy and he is not very
goodat sports. At the beginning of the film, Calvin is playing baseball when
there is a terrible earthquake. A hole opens in the ground and Calvin falls through it. He lands in the past, in the
time of King Arthur.
Calvin meets King Arthur and Merlin, the wizard. King Arthur is played by Joss Ackland and Merlin is
played by Ron Moody. They think that Calvin is amazing because he plays them modem music on his CD
player and he shows them how to make rollerblades and a mountain bike. Calvin is trained to be a knight and he
becomes more confident. Calvin helps King Arthur to beat his enemy, Lord Belasco, and then Merlin sends
Calvin back to the future. Calvin finds himself back in the baseball game, but this time he wins the game.
The special effects in A Kid in King Arthur's Court are very good. Michael Gottlieb is a great director and
the actors’ performances are good. The film is funny and exciting. It’s a comedy, a drama, and an action film all
1. What type is the film “A Kid in King Arthur ’s Court”?
3. Who is the director of the film? Is he a good director?
4. What is Calvin doing when the earthquake happens?
5. How can he land in the time of King Arthur?
6. Why do King Arthur and Merlin think that Calvin is amazing?
7. Who is Calvin trained to become?
8. What does Calvin do to help King Arthur?
9. How can Calvin come back to the present time?
10. How are the special effects in the film?
11. How are the actors’ performances?
12. What does the writer think about the film?
IV. Read the film review, and decide whether the statements are true (T), or false (F), and tick the correct
Have you ever read Alice In Wonderland, by Lewis Carol? I did and I really like it. It’s an adventure story
full of magic and danger. Yesterday I saw Tim Burton’s version of the film at the cinema.
This story is about Alice, who is now a teenager. A man wants to marry her, but she runs away and falls
downa rabbit hole. She travels to Wonderland, which she has visited before as a child, and meets a lot of
amazing characters on her adventures.
There are a lot of good special effects in the film. The Red Queen, played by Helena Bonham Carter, is very
scary, and Johnny Depp is brilliant as the Mad Hatter. He has acted in a lot of films before but this is my
favourite one. Mia Waslkowska is good as Alice; this is her first big film and I think she’s going to become a
Overall, I think this is a good film for teenagers, but it’s a bit long. You should see it if you like fantasy and
adventure, but don’t go if you like romances: it’s not a love story.
Charlie, Manchester, UK
1. Wonderland was directed by Lewis Carol.
2. The film is both an adventure story and a love story.
3. Alice is still in her childhood.
4. Alice has never been to Wonderland before.
5. She meets a lot of amazing people in Wonderland.
7. The Red Queen is very friendly.
8. The Mad Hatter is played by Johnny Depp
9. Johnny Depp played his first role in this film.
10. The writer of the report thinks that the film is a good film for teenagers.
V. Read the passage, and then answer the questions.
My favourite actors
I like a lot of different actors, but my real favourites are Daniel Craig and Halle Berry.
Daniel Craig is British and he’s a really talented actor. He’s been in a lot of different
kinds of films including action adventure, science fiction, and romantic drama, but he always
gives an excellent performance. He was brilliant in Tomb Raider as Alex West, but my
favourite film is Casino Royale. I think Daniel Craig is a fantastic James Bond.
Halle Berry is American. She was a model, but then decided to become an actress. I like
her because she’s beautiful. She’s a good actress and I think she has a great sense of humour.
I’m not keen on some of her films, such as Catwoman,but her other films are excellent. My
favourite is X-Men which is a science fiction film. She plays the main character Storm, who has the ability to
change the weather.
Daniel Craig and Halle Berry are both entertaining and talented actors. I love watching their films.
Nick, London, UK
1. What are Nick’s favourite actors?
2. Where does Daniel Craig come from?
3. What kinds of films has he played?
4. What is his role in Tomb Raider?
5. What Daniel Craig’s film does Nick like best? Why?
6. Where does Halle Berry come from?
7. What was her job before she became an actress?
8. Why does Nick like Halle Berry?
9. What Halle Berry’s film does Nick like best?
1. I/ buy/ a laptop/ but I/ not use/ it.
2. I/ write/ a blog/ but I/ not upload/ any photos to it.
3. We/ start/ the game/ half an hour ago/ but we/ not finish/ it.
4. My dad/ be/ to London/ but he/ not see/ Big Ben.
5. I/ read/ my English book/ but I/ not do/ my English homework.
6. They/ have/ lunch/ but they/ not have/ dinner.
7. I/ download/ some songs/ but I/ not listen/ to them.
II. Put the verbs in brackets in the correct verb tense: the Present Perfect or Past Simple.
1. They (not see) the film Titanic yet.
2. Tom (call) his boss yesterday.
5. I (meet) Robert at the supermarket this morning.
6. Nancy (be) to Viet Nam several times.
7. I (not see) your brother yet.
8. When (your father/ give up) smoking?
9. My pen isn’t here any more. Someone (take) it already.
10. The motorbike looks clean, (you/ wash) it?
III.Put the verbs in brackets in the correct verb tense: the Present Perfect or Past Simple,
1. My uncle (move) to Da Lat in 2005.
2. The Greens (be) to many countries in the world so far.
3. We (go) to that village to do volunteer work several times.
4. We (spend) our summer vacation in Ha Long Bay last July.
5. Our teacher (explain) to US how to use the printer already.
6. The postman (deliver) the letter half an hour ago.
7. Mai (not finish) her homework yet.
8. I (visit) our form teacher in the hospital already.
9. I (hear) the good news from Mary a few minutes ago.
10. They (not start) the project yet.
IV. Complete the sentences with the verbs given in the correct form.
1. I hundreds of e-mail in my life. I ten last night. (write)
3. We Chinese food last week, but we (never) Japanese food. (have)
4. My brother two CDs already. He the first one two years ago. (make)
5. My parents me lots of nice presents. Last year, they me a DVD
6. My friend to lots of countries. Last summer, she to India. (go)
7. “ you the tennis match yesterday?” - “No. I (never)
a match against Jack.” (win)
8. you a concert last weekend? you ever in the USA? (play)
V. Make questions for the underlined parts, using the question words in brackets.
1. La Tomatina in Brunol near Valencia happens ever year. (How often)
2. La Tomatina takes place on the last Wednesday in August. (When)
3. The highlight of the festival is the tomato flight. (What)_________________________________________
4. La Tomatina dates backs to 1945 when an annual parade of enormous figures with big heads was passing
through the streets of Bunyol. (When)
5. Some youngsters accidentally knocked over one of the giants. (What)
6. Burning Man lasts one week. (How long)
7. The festival began in San Francisco’s Baker Beach in 1986. (When; Where)
8. The event begins on the last Monday in August, and ends on the first Monday in September. (When)
9. In 2010, 51,515 people attended Burning Man. (How many)