WRITTEN PLACEMENT TEST I. Choose the best answer for each question. 1. The couple _____ divorce was on TV has got remarried. A. who
2. Many, but not all, people ____ get married in a church. A. want to
B. are wanting to
C. wanting to
D. used to want
3. We saw that film ____ 7.00 p.m ____ Saturday.
A. on - from
B. in - at
C. at - at
D. at - on
4. My sister _________ . A. is ten.
B. is ten years
C. has ten years.
D. being ten years.
5. He ____ off his holiday until after the winter. A. took
6. I’m taxi _______ driver. A. any
7. Trinh got wet _______ she had no umbrella when going out in the rain. A. so
8. The man _____ is standing near the window is my brother. A. who
9. What was _______ music you were playing when we came in? A. a
10. Anna ______ in a bank. A. work
C. is work
11. They ______ their cousin since he left the city. A. met
D. haven’t met
12. That villa ________ in 1970. A. built
C. was built
D. is built
13. He asked me ________ at Chemistry. A. if I was good
B. if was I good
C. if I good
D. if I am good
14. I enjoy ________ because I like laughing. A. love stories
C. action ﬁlms
D. science ﬁction ﬁlms
15. I _______ to Italy for my holiday last year. A. went
16. If people _______ their passport, they will be in trouble.
C. would lose
17. Jeff and Nancy ________ to watch a film tonight. A. are going
B. is going
18. The baby boy saw ___________ in the mirror and started to cry. A. itself
19. What’s the name of the woman _______ gave you a gift? A. he
20. ________ was a strong wind last night. A. These
21. _______ anything next Friday? A. Do you
B. Do you do
C. Did you
D. Are you doing
22. What ______ the food like at the party last night? A. did
23. The librarian asked students ________ so much noise in the reading room. A. not to make
B. no make
C. not making
D. don’t make
24. ______ to go for a pizza this evening? A. Do you like
B. What do you want
C. How about
D. Would you like
25. "Thank you very much indeed." "_______________" A. very well.
C. Why not.
D. Don’t mention it.
26. Sorry, I haven’t got _______ coffee. Is tea OK? A. some
27. If you want to get fit, you ________ do more sport. A. will
28. My family has lived in this house ______ fifteen years. A. ago
29. I think the government should do something to help ______. A. the poors
B. the poor ones
D. the poor
30. When I looked round the door, the child _______ quietly. A. is sleeping
B. was sleeping
D. were sleeping
31. This kind of food is the worst I _______ tasted. A. had never
B. have ever
32. I haven’t received any letters from him since I ______ here. A. came
33. It is impossible for us _______ in all this noise.
B. to work
34. They asked Ngan a lot of questions, most of _______ she couldn’t answer well. A. whom
35. Several people didn’t like the club _________ the poor quality of its service. A. so
C. because of
36. If the man had a map now, he _______ a short-cut across the desert. A. could have taken
C. could take
D. can take
37. Mr. Nguyen is very busy. _______, he is always willing to give a hand with the housework. A. Despite
38. I see this detailed map is ________ the atlas. A. more useful
B. more useful than
C. more useful as
D. usefuler than
39. If I __________ you, I’d take some rest before the important exam tomorrow. A. was
D. would be
40. My brother often uses his goods as ______ as he can. A. Economic
41. It was ___________ hot day that most of them decided to leave work early. A. such
C. so a
D. such a
42. Ngoc: “ _______ ?” - Tom: “He’s tall and thin with blue eyes. A. How is Mr. Nguyen doing
C. What does Mr. Nguyen look like
B. What does Mr. Nguyen like
D. Who does Mr. Nguyen look like
43. John F. Kennedy wouldn’t have died in 1963 if he ______ to Dallas. A. didn’t go
B. wouldn’t go
C. hadn’t gone
D. not go
44. In England people usually ________ hands when they first meet. A. give
45. One of the students in our class _____ sick today. A. were
C. have been
46. Trang and Hoa took these photographs _______. A. themselves
47. Betty is _________ than Jane . A. taller
B. the tallest
C. as tall
D. not as tall
48. Hurry up or we’ll _______ our train! A. lose
49. Jane is the _________ girl in her class.
B. more popular
50. I like ______ weather in Florida in ________ March. A. Ø / Ø
B. the / Ø
C. a / the
D. the / a
51. John failed _________ . A. because he did not study hard
C. due to study hard
B. since he stopped to study hard
D. because of he did not study hard
52._______ Tom broke the window, he did not feel guilty about it A. Although
D. In spite of
53. She likes reading ____ books, collecting _____ stamps and going to ___ cinema A. The / Ø / Ø
B. Ø / Ø / the
C. Ø / the / Ø
D. Ø /the / Ø
54. The Sun ___________ us heat and light. A. will give
B. is giving
D. has given
55. Many types of watches __________ in Switzerland. A. are made
C. are making
D. is made
56. What _______ when the accident ______? A. have you been doing / occurs
C. will be doing / has occurred
B. are you doing / will occur
D. were you doing / occurred
57. Look! Mary ______ a beautiful new dress. She _______ so pretty in the dress. A. was wearing / looked
C. has been wearing / is looking
B. wears / has looked
D. is wearing / looks
58. Before we ____ a computer, we ______ that typewriter to type our assignments. A. bought / have used
C. buy / have used
B. are buying / use
D. bought / had used
59. Philip ______ going for a swim. A. offered
60. Barbara told me she _______ to Poland the following year. A. will return
B. would return
C. has returned
D. had returned
61. John asked me ________ in English? A. what does this word mean B. what that word means C. what did this word mean D. what that word meant 62. “Would you mind spelling your surname?” “ __________________ .” A. No, not at all.
B. You’re quite right.
C. No, of course.
D. Never mind.
63. They congratulated her _________________ doing so well in her exams. A. on 64.
______________ you hurry, you won’t catch the train.
A. Unless 65.
I’m afraid I’ll never understand my children. The generation _______ is
unbridgeable. A. gap
66. Latin ________ compulsory in Irish schools. A. used to be
B. would be
D. has been
67. More and more people ____ divorced every year. A. are wanting
68. ________ do you meet each other? - Once or twice a month. A. How far
B. How long
C. How often
D. How much
69. This restaurant is ____ the one over there. A. Traditional
C. more traditional than
D. traditionaler than
70. My coffee was ____ yours. I almost burned by mouth. A. hotter than
B. more hot than
C. hotter as
71. The film Avatar was directed ____ James Cameron. A. by
72. I am very ___ in old cars. A. keen
73. Stress is not an illness, but it can ___ to many illnesses. A. get
74. There is a red car in the street. _____ car belongs to my friend. A. The
75. There aren’t _______ new houses in that street. A. many
D. a lot
76. I usually go to work ________ train. A. on
77. Alex loves giving presents. He’s very ________ . A. selfish
78. I was _______ tired last night that I fell asleep on the sofa. A. very
79. There was a nice meal and a band at the wedding ____ .
80. It’s difficult to ________ a living with a part-time job. A. get
81. Paris is _________ the Eiffel Tower. A. famous for
B. impressed by
C. fascinated by
D. excited about
82. If you don’t know the meaning of a word, you can ______ in a dictionary. A. get it out
B. point it out
C. look it up
D. come up with it
83. Could you _____ me a favour please? A. do
84. I’m trying to _______ money to buy a new car. A. save
85. I _______ my driving test last week, so now I’ll have to take it again. A. passed
86. How much time do you ________ doing your English homework? A. work
87. _________ a bus stop near my apartment. A. It’s
88. I can’t hear you – It’s ___________ noisy in here. A. too
C. too much
D. too many
89. Many companies are expected _______ out of business during the recession. A. they will go
C. that they go
D. to go
90. Where did you go ____________ holiday last year? A. for
91. Make sure you’ve had all the necessary injections before going into the jungle, _____ you’ll risk catching tropical diseases. A. in case
92. Quite ______ , I think the performance was the worst I’ve ever seen. A. Clearly
93. The taxi managed to arrive on time, _________ the traffic was very heavy. A. despite
94. These city girls are used_____ in the field. A. to work
B. used to lie
C. would like
D. to working
95. Newton__________ scientific books when a boy. A. used to read
B. has read
C. had read
D. had been reading
96. Jack Reid won the award for best actor, _______ came as a surprise to many. A. who
97. As soon as I ________ this book, I’ll help you clean the car. A. have finished
B. will have finished
C. am going to finish
D. will finish
98. The Prime Minister is going to _________ a meeting this afternoon. A. get
99. The teacher advised his students _____ that book carefully because it ____ good for ______. A. to read / was / them
C. that reading / be / us
B. read / is / him
D. to read / was / you
John asked me ________ interested in football.
A. if I were 101.
B. if were I
C. if was I
D. if I was
Mr.Nelson had _____ he had to borrow me $5 for lunch.
A. so money that
C. such little money that
B. so little money that
D. such money that
Why didn’t she let _____________________ ?
A. them go 103.
B. them to go
C. to go them
D. go to them
___________ worries me about society today is how completely we have
come to depend on technology. A. That 104.
You should keep the milk in the refrigerator ______ it doesn’t not go to bad.
A. as 105.
C. so as to
D. so that
“Are you ready to order?” “Not yet – I’m still looking at the ______________ .”
A. bill 106.
Carl’s very _____________ . He’s never late, and he never forgets to do
things. A. reliable 107.
She was _________ I could not help looking at her.
A. very beautiful that
C. so a beautiful girl that
B. such beautiful that
D. so beautiful that
I fixed it ______ everybody could use it.
A. in order that 109.
B. in order to
C. so as to
Her horse is lovely. She _____ it since she was a teenager.
A. had 110.
B. has had
D. is had
I’ve received 33 emails ___________.
A. on Friday
C. two days ago
D. this week
II. Rewrite each sentence, beginning as shown, so that the meaning stays the same. 1. Tom didn’t take his doctor’s advice and now he is ill. If Tom _____________________________________________________________ 2. Don’t speak Polish. The teacher told the students ___________________________________________ 3. People say he has been married four times. He is ______________________________________________________________ 4. Let’s try that new Chinese restaurant in Bond Street. Why _______________________________________________________________ 5. They are building a new cinema in our town. A new cinema _______________________________________________________ 6. Why don't you learn a musical instrument? If I were you, ________________________________________________________ 7. My course is harder than I expected. My course isn't as ____________________________________________________ 8. Restaurant Nicole opened five years ago. Restaurant Nicole has _________________________________________________ 9. She said to me, “If I were you, I wouldn’t tell her about this.” She told me that ______________________________________________________ 10. “Do you enjoy listening to music?” Bin asked her. ___________________________________________________________________