PERIOD 11 UNIT 2 : City Life LESSON 2: CLOSER LOOK 2
1. Exercise 1: Match the beginning to the correct endings. A 1. It’s not as 2. That skyscraper is one 3. The exam was 4. Life in the past was 5. Mexico City is a lot 6. Kids are growing up 7. Nothing is worse 8. These fun cards will
B a. Faster than ever. b. To spell better.
f Than being d stuck in a e Than being traffic jam. stuck in a h Than being traffic jam. stuck g in a
Than trafficbeing jam. stuck in a traffic a jam. Than being stuck inca trafficbeing jam.kids Than encourage stuck in a traffic jam.
Than b being stuck in a traffic jam.
c. Than being stuck in a traffic jam. d. Of the tallest buildings in the world. e. More difficult than I expect. f. Simple as it looks g. Bigger than Rome. h. Less comfortable than it is now.
REMEMBER • We can use : much, a lot, a bit, a little + comparatives forms to show how big the differences are. EX: 1. A DVD is much better than a video.
2. This house is a lot bigger than the one we used to live in . 3. This house is a little smaller than the one we used to live in .
2. Complete the text with the most suitable form of the adjectives in brackets. Add the where necessary. • Lon Don is one of (1. large)……the largest… cities in the world. Its population is a lot (2. Small)…smaller ..than Tokyo or Shanghai, but it is by far (3. Popular)……the most popular.. tourist destination. Lon Don is probably most famous for its museums, galleries. Palaces, and other sights, but it also includes a (4. Wide)…wider…range of peoples, cultures, and regions than many other places. People used to say that it was (5. Dirty)…the dirtiest... city too, but it is now much (6. Clean)…cleaner .. than it was. To the surprise of many people, it now has some of (7. Good)…the best …. restaurants in Europe too. For some people, this makes London (8. Exciting)…… the most exciting….city in Europe.
3. Underline the correct particle to complete each phrasal verb:
• 1. The city has recently set (up/ off/ out) a library in the West Suburb. • 2. I don’t think Fred gets (over/ through/ on) with Daniel. They always argue. • 3. You should take your hat (in/ over/ off) in the cinema. • 4. Their children have all grown (up/ out/ out of) and left home for the city to work. • 5. We were shown (up/ off/ around) the city by a volunteer student. • 6. The town council decided to pull (up/ over/ down) the building, as it was unsafe.
5. Underline the phrasal verbs in the sentences, and match them to their meaning from the box • 1. You don’t need the light on in there. Turn it off, please. • 2. They offered him a place at the company but he turned it down. • 3. The doctor wanted to go over the test results with her patient. • 4. Once you’ve finished cleaning, you can go on with your work. • 5. When you come inside, you should take off your coat and hat. • 6. The local meeting is on October, 15th. Put it down in your diary Remove (5)- examine (3)- press the switch (1)- refuse (2)- make a note (6)- continue doing (4)
Homework 1. Learn by heart the new words. 2. Speak with your friends 3. Prepare for the next..