English 8 unit 01 leisure activities lesson 3 a closer look 2
Friday, April 24, 2020
Listening to music
VERBS OF LIKING
Verbs of liking
adore (kính yêu, quý mến) love (yêu thích) like, enjoy, fancy (thích) don’t mind (không phiền) dislike, don’t like (không thích) hate (ghét) detest (căm ghét)
Examples She likes likes making makingmodels. Verb of liking GERUND
They love love to toread readHarry Potter novel. Verb of likingTO-INFINITIVE
Verbs of liking + gerunds (general meaning) Verbs of liking + to-infinitives(specific meaning)
Note: Verbs of liking can be used with both gerunds and to-infinitives without much change in meaning.
1) After prepositions: on, in, into, at, onto, out, out of, under, with, of, down, up, within, without, off, beside, from, for, by… Ex: He leaves without saying goodbye . They earn their living by drawing
2) After phrasal verbs: - To BE + accustomed to (quen với), afraid of (lo sợ, e sợ về), ashamed of (xấu hổ về), capable of (có khả năng, có thể), bored with (chán với), disappointed in/with (thất vọng về), fond of (thích về), hopeful of (hy vọng về), intent on (đeo đuổi, chăm chú về), interested in (quan tâm về), opposed to (chống đối với), proud of (hãnh diện về), responsible for (có trách nhiệm về), sorry about (ân hận về), successful in (thành công trong), surprised at (ngạc nhiên về), tired from (mệt nhọc vì), tired of (chán với), worried about (lo lắng về). - To be (get) + used to / accustomed to (quen với). - To look forward to (trông mong, trông đợi).
Ex: - I am interested in learning English. - Police soon get accustomed to arresting criminals. - Are you capable of completing the work within an hour ? - Eli Whitney is famous for inventing the cotton gin. - The driver was intent on passing the other car. - The treasurer is responsible for keeping the books.
3. After the following verbs: enjoy (thưởng thức), avoid (tránh), detest = hate (ghét), miss (lỡ), postpone (trì hoãn), mind (bận tâm), suggest (gợi ý), feel like (cảm thấy thích), dislike (không thích), like = love = fancy (thích), consider (xem xét), keep [on] (giữ, bắt phải, tiếp tục), finish (kết thúc), practise (luyện tập), admit (thú nhận), deny (từ chối), delay (hoãn lại), risk (liều), appreciate (đánh giá cao, coi trọng), imagine (tưởng tượng), escape (tránh / thoát khỏi), intend (dự định), neglect (xao lãng), quit (bỏ, từ bỏ), resist (chống lại), recollect (nhớ lại, hồi tưởng), endure (chịu đựng), go + activity (go swimming / bicycling / hunting…), mention (đề cập đến), propose (đề nghị), prefer (thích hơn), spend (time/money) (dành th.gian, chi
Ex : - I finished doing my homework. - I always avoid making noise in class. - Have you finished writing the report ? - Anne practised playing the piano at an early age. - I don’t mind doing a lot of homework. - He can’t stand working ten hours a day
4. After special phrases: - It’s no good (không tốt, chẳng đáng). - It’s no use = what’s the use of …? (vô ích, chẳng ích gì). - can’t help, can’t resist (không thể không, không khỏi, không nhịn được). - can’t bear, can’t stand (không thể chịu Exđựng) : It’s no use talking to him. I can’t stand his staying here any more. I can’t help laughing at his jokes. What is the use of worrying about it?
5. After the following adjectives: - To be busy (bận). - To be worth (xứng đáng) Ex : She is busy doing her homework. This book is worth reading. Note: thường thì To Be + Adj + To infinitive
Ex: Nga is happy to work with her Mr.
6. After verbal phrases with “TO HAVE”:
- To have difficulty / trouble / a hard time / problem (gặp khó khăn)… - To have an easy time (gặp lúc thoải mái) - To have fun (vui vẻ)….
- They have difficulty talking to each other. - With all the traffic noise, Mr. Packard had a hard time hearing the reporters’ questions. - I'm having a very hard time finding a job.
7. After such verbs as: - Need - Want - Require
(mang nghĩa bị động: Cần được)
Ex: Your hair is too long. It needs cutting. = It needs to be cut The machines require cleaning. = They require to be cleaned. But: I need you to help me with my
8. After the following expression with “there + to be”: - There + to be (có). - There is no (không có, không còn cách gì). - There is no point in = What’s the point of …(chẳng có lý do gì). - There is little (có ít, hầu như không) Ex: There is talking in the next room. There was much debating on the subject. There's no cheating anymore. There's no point in getting angry. So I just
9. After the following noun phrases: “a waste of money / time”: - A waste of money (lãng phí tiền). - A waste of time (lãng phí thời gian). Ex:
It’s a waste of time reading that book. It is rubbish. It’s a waste of money buying things you don’t need.
1. Read the conversation in Getting Started again. Underline verbs that are followed by a gerund.
M: Check out this book, Phuc. ‘My Mini Guide to Dog Training’. P: Sounds great! Max’ll like it too. Last weekend we learnt some tricks. I love to watch him. It’s so much fun… Have you found your craft kit? M: Yes, I’ve found this one. It’s got everything: beads, stickers, wool, buttons… I don’t know, it’ll take all my savings. P: But it’s right up your street! Nick, what’s that? N: It’s a CD of Vietnamese folk songs. I’ll listen
Ha ha, not sure about that. But I think I’ll enjoy listening to the melodies.
P: Look at the language website I sent you. It’ll help you learn Vietnamese more easily. N: Yes, I liked reading Doraemon comics while I was learning Japanese. P: Stop reading comics! I’ll bring you my favourite short story this Sunday when we play football. M: Sorry but we have to hurry. Mum and dad are waiting. We need to buy some tools to build a new house for Max this weekend
2. Tick () the appropriate box. Then listen to check. Verbs
Followed by gerund only
1. love 2. enjoy 3. detest
4. prefer 5. fancy
Followed by both gerund and toinfnitive
Audio script: 1. I love eating spicy food. I love to eat spicy food. 2. Jane enjoys running. 3. Phong detests doing DIY. 4. I prefer reading poetry. I prefer to read poetry. 5. Do you fancy watching TV?
3. Write the correct form of the verbs. making (make) 1. Mai enjoys ________ crafts, especially bracelets. watching / to watch 2. People in Britain love _________________ (watch) TV in their free time. skateboarding 3. Do you fancy _____________________ (skateboard) in the park this Sunday? learning / to learn (learn) 4. Nick likes __________________ Vietnamese. sitting / to sit (sit) at the 5. Ngoc hates _____________ computer for too long .
4. Write sentences about what you like or don’t like doing in your free time, beginning with the following. Then share what you have written with your partner. Model writing
playing badminton. 1. I adore _________________________________. jogging in the park. 2. I love __________________________________. playing computer games. 3. I fancy _________________________________. helping you do the homework. 4. I don’t mind_____________________________. football. 5. I don’t like playing ______________________________. making bread in the free time. 6. I detest _________________________________.
4. Write sentences about what you like or don’t like doing in your free time, beginning with the following. Then share what you have written with your partner. Your turn!
1. I adore _________________________________. 2. I love __________________________________. 3. I fancy _________________________________. 4. I don’t mind_____________________________. 5. I don’t like ______________________________. 6. I detest _________________________________.
5. Look at the following email that Minh Duc wrote a new penfriend. Hi, my name’s Duc. How are you? This is what I like do in my free time. I often play video games or watch TV. Or I go to the park and play football with my friends. I enjoy do this very much! I sometimes help my parents too. If I have homework, I’ll try to finish it first before I do anything else. But I don’t like have lots of homework! I don’t mind to do homework but I hate spend all evening on it! On Saturday or Sunday, I love eat out with my family. The food is delicious! What about you? Best, Duc