ĐỀ CƯƠNG ôn THI TUYỂN SINH đào tạo THẠC sĩ môn TIẾNG ANH
ĐỀ CƯƠNG ÔN THI TUYỂN SINH ĐÀO TẠO THẠC SĨ MÔN: TIẾNG ANH (Dùng cho các chuyên ngành không chuyên tiếng Anh) SESSION ONE : THÌ HIỆN TẠI ĐƠN VÀ HIỆN TẠI TIẾP DIỄN: 1. Let’s go out . It (not rain ) now. Let’s go out . It isn’t raining now. 2. Julia is very good at languages. She ( speak) four languages very well. Julia is very good at languages. She speaks four languages very well. 3. Hurry up! Everybody (wait ) for you. Hurry up! Everybody is waiting for you. 4. “You (listen) to the radio?” “ No, you can turn it off” Are you listening to the radio ?' 'No, you can turn it off. 5. “ You (listen) to the radio everyday?” “ No, just occasionally.” Do you listen to the radio every day ?' "No, just occasionally.' 6. The River Nile (flow) into the Mediterranean. The River Nile flows into the Mediterranean. 7. Look at the river. It (flow) very fast today- much faster than usual. Look at the river. It is flowing very fast today --much faster than usual. 8. We usually (grow) vegetables in our garden but this year we (not grow) any. We usually grow vegetables in our garden but this year we aren't growing ( not/grow ) any.
9. “How is your English?” “ Not bad. It (improve) slowly.” 'How is your English ?' 'Not bad. It is improving slowly.' 10. Ron is in London at the moment. He (stay) at the Park Hotel. He always (stay) there when he’s in London. Ron is in London at the moment. He is staying at the Park Hotel. He always stays there when he's in London. 11. Can we stop walking soon? I (start) to feel tired. Can we stop walking soon ? I am staring to feel tired. 12. Normally I (finish)work at 5 ,but this week I (work) until 6 to earn a bit more money. Normally I finish work at 5, but this week I am working until 6 to earn a bit more money. 13. Sonia (look ) for a place to live. She (stay) with her sister until she find somewhere. Sonia is looking for a place to live. She is staying with her sister until she finds somewhere. 14. “ What your father (do)?” “ He’s an architect but he (not work) at the moment. 'What does your father do ?' 'He's an architect but he isn't working at the moment.' 15. The train is never late. It always (leave) on time. The train is never late. It always leaves on time. 16. Jim is very untidy. He always (leave) his things all over the place. Jim is very untidy. He is always leaving his things all over the place. Jim is very untidy. He always leaves his things all over the place. 17. Don’t put the dictionary away. I(use) it. Don't put the dictionary away. I 'm using it. 18. Don’t put the dictionary away. I (need) it. Don't put the dictionary away. I need it. 19. Who is that man? What he (want)? Why he (look) at us? Who is that man? What does he want ? (he/want) Who is that man? Why is he looking at us? (he/look) 20. I (think) of selling my car. Would you be interested in buying it? I 'm thinking of selling my car. Would you be interested in buying it? 21. I ( think) you should sell your car. You (not use) it very often. I you should sell your car. You it very often. PHẦN I: ĐỌC HIỂU: Bài 1: Chọn từ thích hợp để điền vào chỗ trống trong câu (mỗi từ chỉ được sử dụng một lần, có từ không được sử dụng ): worth satellites normally journals mild pile homeless message normal exactly
throat feed spread fair rights fact 1. Barbara has a sore throat She can hardly talk. 2. Many famous people have written journals They are very interesting to read. 1
3. I don’t understand exactly what you mean. 4. Saudi Arabia cannot grow enough food to feed its population. 5. It is a fact that the Earth is round. 6. Peter spread his papers all over the table and then put them in order. Bài 2: Đọc các bài đọc dưới đây và trả lời các câu hỏi kèm theo: I. English is the native or official language on one-fifth of the land area of the world. It is spoken in North America, Great Britain, Australia, and New Zealand. In South Africa and India it is one of the official languages. More people study English than any other language. In many countries, the textbooks in universities are in English. Many university classes are taught in English even though the native language is not English. English is the language of international communication. It is the language of international business, research, and science. More than threefourths of the world's mail is written in English. More than three-fifths of the world’s radio stations use English. More than half of the scientific and research journals are in English. Most other languages have borrowed many English words. Questions: 1. Where , according to the text, is English used as the native language? According to the text, is English used as the native language on one-fifth of the land area of the world ( In North America, Great Britain, Australia, and New Zealand) 2. Why is it necessary for students in many countries to know English? It necessary for students in many countries to know English because the textbooks in universities are in English. English is the language of international communication. It is the language of international business, research, and science 3. How many mails in the world are written in English? More than three-fourths of the world's mail is written in English 4. Is English important in science? How do you know? Yes, it is. More than three-fifths of the world’s radio stations use English. More than half of the scientific and research journals are in English 5. What language have most of the languages in the world borrowed? Most of the languages in the world have borrowed many words in English II.“ What time is it ?” “ I don’t have enough time.” “Is it time to go yet ?” “Hurry up ! We’re going to be late.” We talk about time every day. We measure it by the second, minute, hour, day, week, month, year, and century. But what is time ? No one can say exactly what it is. It is one of the greatest mysteries of our lives. We don’t know exactly what time is, but our ability to measure it is very important. It makes our way of life possible. All the members of a group have to measure time in the same way. Time lets us put things in a definite order. We know that breakfast comes before lunch. The reading class is after the writing class. Children can’t play until school is over. Time enables us to organize our lives. The earliest people saw changes around them. They saw day and night, the changes of the moon, and the seasons. They started measuring their lives by these changes. Then people started inventing clocks. The Chinese invented a water clock in the eleventh century, but the Egyptians had them long before that. As water dripped from one container to another, it measured the passing time. Questions: 1. Why is time a mystery ? Times is mystery becauseno one can say exactly what it is. 2. How do we measure time ? We measure time by second, minute, hour, day, week, month, year and century 3. Why is our ability to measure time important ? Our ability to measure it is very important because it makes our way of life possible 4. How does time enable us to organize our lives ? Time enable us to organize our lives by the fact that time lets us put things in a definite order for example. We know that breakfast comes before luch. The reading class is after the writing class. Childred can’t play intil school is over. Time enables us to organize our lives. 5. Where were the water clock invented? The water clock was invented in china 6. What is the text about? (or What the reading messege about?) The text is abour time. III. When the early settlers, especially the English, arrived in the New World, the hardships and dangers awaiting them were totally unexpected. Had it not been for some friendly Indians, the colonists never would have survived the terrible winters. They knew nothing about planting crops, hunting animals, building sod houses, or making clothing from animal skins. Life in England had been much simpler, and this new life was not like what the Spanish explorers had reported. Questions: 1. What faced the early settlers when they arrived in the New World ? The early setters facted hardshios and dangers when they arrived in the New World 2. What were the Indians like ? The Indians were friendly 3. Could the early colonists survive the terrible winters ? 2
Yes, they could. 4. What did the Indians teach them ? The Indians taught them about planting crops, hunting animals, building sod houses, or making clothing from animal skins. 5. Where were the early settlers from ? The setters were from England. IV. In 1920, after some thirty-nine years of problems with disease, high costs, and politics, the Panama Canal was officially opened, finally linking the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans by allowing ships to pass through the fifty-mile canal zone instead of travelling some seven thousand miles around Cape Horn. It takes a ship approximately eight hours to complete the trip through the canal and costs an average of fifteen thousand dollars, one-tenth of what it would cost an average ship to round the Horn. More than fifteen thousand ships pass through its locks each year. Questions: 1. When was the Panama Canal officially opened ? The Panama canal was officially opened in 1920 2. In what year was construction probably begun on the canal ? Construction was probaly begun on the canal in 1881. 3. How long is the canal zone ? The Canal zone is 50 miles long 4. On the average, how much would it cost a ship to travel around Cape Horn ? On the average, it would cost $15.000 for ship to traval around Cape Horn 5. How many ships travel through the Panama Canal annually ? More than 15,000 ships traval through the Panama Canal annually 6. What is the text about? The text about the history of panama canal V. Clocks as we know them were probably developed by very religious people in Europe in the thirteenth cen tury. They needed to know the exact time so they could pray at the right times. By the 1700s, people had clocks and watches that were accurate to the minute. Some clocks were beautiful. They had very complicated moving parts. Some had figures of people or animals that moved on the hour or quarter hour. Others played music. The movement of the parts is beautiful to watch when you open these clocks. Questions: 1. Who developed clocks? The religious people in Europe developed clocks 2. Why did they develop clocks? They develop clock because They needed to know the exact time so they could pray at the right times. 3. When did people have very accurate clocks? People had accurate clocks by the 1700s 4. Describe some kinds of clocks at that time. Some clocks were beautiful. They had very complicated moving parts. Some had figures of people or animals that moved on the hour or quarter hour. Others played music 5. What can you see when you open these clocks? When you open these clocks The movement of the parts is beautiful to watch. Bài 3: Đọc bài đọc dưới đây và tìm một từ thích hợp để điền vào chỗ trống: A. Greenland is the largest …..1 island ………..in the world. It covers over 2,000,000 (two million) square kilometers. Most of it ……..2 is/lies ………..inside the Arctic Circle, and a huge sheet of …..3 ice ……..covers 85% (85 percent) of it. Imagine that a map of Greenland is on top of a map of Europe. Greenland ….4 streches ……..from London to the middle of the Sahara Desert. The ice sheet is more than 1.6 kilometers thick, and it …….5 never …….. melts. There is probably only rock under the ice, but no one knows for sure. Along the sea coast, mountains rise ……6 from ……the sea. There are a few low trees in the southwest, but no forests. ….7 Snow …….covers everything in winter, but in summer very low plants cover the ground between the sea and the ice sheet. Norwegian Vikings were the first Europeans to see the island in A.D. 875, but no one visited it until 982. Three years ….8 later ……….a few Vikings went to live there. In 1261 the people in Greenland decided to join Norway. Norway and Denmark united in 1380. This union ended in 1814, and Greenland stayed with Denmark. Greenland is fifty times ….9 larger …….than Denmark, but it is still a …..10 part…….of this small country. B.There was once a large, fat ( 1 ) woman ____who had a small, thin husband. He ( 2 ) had _____ a job in a big company and was given his weekly wages every Friday evening. As soon as he got ( 3 ) home _____ on Fridays, his wife used to make him give her all his ( 4 ) money ____ , and then she used to give him back only enough to ( 5 ) buy _______ his lunch in the office every day. One day ( 6 ) the ____ small man came home very excited. He hurried into the living-room. His ( 7 ) wife ____ was listening to the radio and eating chocolates there. “You’ll never guess ( 8 ) what ____ happened to me today, dear,” he said. He waited for a few seconds and then added, “I ( 9 ) won ______ ten thousand pounds on the lottery !” “That’s wonderful !” said his wife delightedly. But then she ( 10 ) thought/stopped ____ for a few seconds and added angrily, “But wait a moment ! How could you afford to buy the ticket ?” PHẦN II: VIẾT Bài 1: Viết các câu sau dùng từ , cụm từ cho sẵn: 3
Ví dụ: I/ try/ find/ better car/ you I’ll try to find a better car for you. 1. I’ve / looking / job / three weeks / haven’t / yet I have been looking for a job for three weeks, but I haven’t found it/one yet. 2. father / told / not / go / far My father told me not to go far 3. what / man / wearing / you saw What was the man wearing when you saw him? 4. they / go / countryside / honeymoon They went to the countryside on their honeymoon. 5. they / prepare / special dinner / today They are going to prepare a special dinner today. 6. concert hall / so crowded / saw / heard / nothing The concert hall was so crowded that I saw and heard nothing. 7. Elvis / died / 42 / sudden Elvis died at the age of 42 it was asudden. Elvis died suddenly at the age of 42. 8. not tell / new job / got / recently You didn’t tell us about the new job you’ve got recently. Don’t tell anyone about the new job that I have got recently. 9. going to / new friends / meet / hostel I’m going to visit my friends I’ve met in the hostel We are going to meet some new friends at the hostel. 10. She sings / now / than / she used to She sings now more beautifully than she used to. Bài 2 : Viết lại các câu sau sao cho không đổi nghĩa của câu gốc: Ví dụ: The door was so heavy that the child couldn’t open it. The door was too........................ The door was too heavy for the child to open. 1. It was such good weather that we went swimming. The weather was so good that we went swimming 2. I haven’t eaten this kind of food before. This is the first time I have eaten this kind of food 3. They think the owner of the house is abroad. The owner is thought to be abroad The owner of the house is thought to be abroad. 4. I like swimming best of all sports. My favourite sport is swimming 5. The teacher asked Tom whether he had any hobbies. “ Do you have any hobbies, Tom?” the teacher said” “Do you have any hobbies, Tom?” asked/said the teacher. 6. Tom has also been collecting stamps for five years. He also started collecting stamps five years ago 7. I didn’t realize who he was until later. Only later when did I realize who he was Only later did I realize who he was. 8. He had over 3000 stamps in his collection. There were over 3000 stamps in his collection 9. The doctor advised me to rest . The doctor suggested that I should rest 11. She didn’t say a word as she left the room. She left the room without saying a word 12. I don’t intend to apologize to either of them. I have no intention to apologize either of them I have no intention of apologizing to either of them. Bài 3 : Dịch các câu sau sang tiếng Anh: 1. Mãi cho đến lúc bấy giờ tôi mới biết rằng anh ta đã nói lên sự thật. It was not until that time I got to know that he had told the truth 2. Mệt mỏi sau một ngày làm việc, tôi đã đi nghỉ sớm. Being tired after a working day, I went to bed early 3. Một điều rất quan trọng đối với chúng ta hiện nay là phải xây dựng một nền kinh tế vững mạnh. It is important that we need to build up a powerful economy 4. Không ai biết được cách đây 5 năm anh ta ở đâu . No one knows where he was five years ago 5. Tôi không thể giải thích được là họ đã vượt qua tất cả những khó khăn ấy bằng cách nào I can’t explain how they can overcome all those difficulties SESSION TWO : PHẦN I: ĐỌC HIỂU: Bài 1: Chọn từ thích hợp để điền vào chỗ trống trong câu (mỗi từ chỉ được sử dụng một lần, có từ không được sử dụng ): blow for homeless through damaged normally beautiful worth provision drought flood terribly overpopulated injured pollute cars summer 1. Factories and ___ cars ___ pollute the air. 2. Fall, winter, spring and ___ summer _____ are the four seasons. 4
3. Tom’s car hit a tree, and he was badly ____ injured ___. 4. Some countries are ___ overpopulated _____. They have too many people. 5. The heavy rains in the mountains caused a bad __ flood ____ along the river. 6. There is a ___ drought ___ when it doesn’t rain for a long time. 7. The ____ provision ____ of food for hungry people is very important. 8. Ann’s new diamond ring is ___ worth ____$5,000. 9. Each class ___ normally _____has fifteen students, but this semester there are only twelve. 10. Paul had an accident last night. His car was ____ damaged _____ but no one was hurt. Bài 2: Đọc các bài đọc dưới đây và trả lời các câu hỏi kèm theo: I. Mahomed comes from Tripoli, a large port north of Beirut. He has a married sister who lives in Australia. Nine months ago Mahomed and his parents came to Australia to live with his sister. “We are homesick for Lebanon all the time. But it was terrible with the war there. Shooting in the streets all the time. There was no work, nothing. We just stayed at home all the time. Two friends of mine from school were killed. And my brother. He was killed, too. He was twenty-four years old. He went to the shop and was shot in the street. Just like that. It was terrible”. Mahomed has a brother-in-law who works in Beirut. He was able to give the family money for air fares to Australia. Questions : 1. Why did they decide to move to Australia ?Because it was terrible with the war there and there was no work. 2. What happened to Mahomed’s brother and friends ? They were killed. 3. Who paid for their flight to Australia ?His brother-in-law. II. Yesterday afternoon Frank Hawkins was telling me about his experiences as a young man. Frank is now the head of a very large business company, but as a boy he used to work in a small shop. It was his job to repair bicycles and at that time he used to work fourteen hours a day. He saved money for years and in 1938 he bought a small work-shop of him own. During the war Frank used to make spare parts for aeroplanes. At that time he had two helpers. At the end of the war, the small work-shop became a large factory which employed seven hundred and twenty-eight people. Frank smiled when he remembered his hard early years and the long road to success. He was still smiling when the door opened and his wife came in. She wanted him to repair their son’s bicycle. Questions: 1. What did Frank Hawkins tell me?About his experiences as a young man. 2. What does Frank do? What did he use to do? He is now the head of a large business company. He used to work in a small shop. 3. Did he work hard as a boy? What did he buy in 1938? Yes, he did. In 1938 he bought a small workshop. 4. Why did Frank feel happy when remembering his hard early years? Because he is successful now. His small workshop became a large factory which employed 728 poepe III. Read the article below. For questions 1-5, you are to choose one best answer, (a), (b), (c), or (d), to each question. Then put a cross on the letter that corresponds to your answer you have chosen. Alexander Graham Bell was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, in the nineteenth century, and later came to the United States. Several members of his family did a great deal to encourage him in the field of science. His father was most instrumental by supervising his work with the deaf. While he dealt with the deaf and investigated the science of acoustics, his studies eventually led to the invention of the multiple telegraph and his greatest invention-the telephone. The last quarter century of his life was dedicated to advances in aviation. 1.What was considered to be Alexander Graham Bell’s greatest invention ? a. multiple telegraph b.telephone c. aviation d. acoustics 2.To what did Bell dedicate the last of his life ? a. acoustical science b. aviation c. adventure d. architecture 3.What can we conclude about Alexander Graham Bell ? a. He worked very hard, but never achieved success. b. He spent so many years working in aviation because he wanted to be a pilot. c. He dedicated his life to the science and the well-being of mankind. d. He worked with the deaf so that he could invent the telephone. 4.Which of the following statements is not true ? a. Bell was born in the eighteenth century. b. Bell worked with the deaf. c. Bell experimented with the science of acoustics. d. Bell invented a multiple telegraph. 5.How many years did Hell dedicate to aviation ? a.100 b.25 c.35 d.50 Bài 3: Đọc bài đọc dưới đây và tìm một từ thích hợp để điền vào chỗ trống:
In developing _____ countries/nations _______(1), where three-fourths of the world’s population _____ live _____(2), sixty percent of the people who can’t ____ read ______(3) and write are women. Being illiterate doesn’t ____ mean ______(4) that they are not intelligent. It does mean it is difficult for ____ them _____(5) to change their lives. They produce more than half of the food. In Africa, eighty percent of all agricultural work is _____ done ______(6) by women. There are many programs to help poor countries develop their agriculture. However, for years, ______ these ______(7) programs provided money and training for men. International organizations and programs run by developed _______ countries/nations ____(8) are starting to help women, as well as men, improve their agricultural production. Governments have already _____ passed _____(9) some laws affecting women because of the UNO Decade for Women. The UNO report will affect the changes now happening in the ___ family ______(10) and society. PHẦN II: VIẾT Bài 1: Viết các câu sau dùng từ , cụm từ cho sẵn: Ví dụ: I/ try/ find/ better car/ you I’ll try to find a better car for you. 1. They / must / an end / this discussion They must put an end to this discussion. 2. The teacher / the class / four groups / last week The teacher divided the class into four groups last week. 3 . they / already / homework / when / come They had already done their homework when we came. 4. I / not interested / find / new / job I am not interested in finding a new job. 5. she / used / stay / uncle / when / child She used to stay with her uncle when she was a child. 6. it / important / that / she / see / doctor / now It is important that she see the doctor now. 7. how long /it/ usually take you / do / homework? How long does it usually take you to do your homework? 8. if you / stay up late /you / be / tired / tomorrow. If you stay up late, you will be tired tomorrow. Bài 2 : Viết lại các câu sau sao cho không đổi nghĩa của câu gốc: Ví dụ: The door was so heavy that the child couldn’t open it. The door was too........................ The door was too heavy for the child to open. 1. I’m sorry that I didn’t finish my homework. I wish I had finished my homework 2. A train leaves for Hai Phong at 8 o’clock every morning. There is a train leaving for Hai Phong at 8 o'clock every morning There is an 8 o’clock train to Hai Phong every morning. 3. It is nearly four hundred years since the birth of Shakespeare. Shakespeare was born 4 hundred years ago/4 centuries ago Shakespeare was born nearly 400 years ago. 4. I’d like you to carry this bag for me. Do you mind carrying this bag for me? 5. Nobody expected him to get the position. He got the position surprisingly He got the position unexpectedly/beyond expectation. 6. I can’t tell lies very well. I’m not good at telling lies 7. People think the jewels were stolen by one of the guests. One of the guests is thought to have stolen the jewels 8. If we can solve the problem soon, it will be better for all concerned. The sooner we solve this problem, the better it will be for all concerned The sooner we can solve the problem, the better it will be for all concerned. Bài 3: Dịch các câu sau sang tiếng Anh: 1. Có nhiều thách thức cần phải vượt qua. There have been a lot of challenges to overcome 2. Cánh cửa phía bên trái đang mở kìa. Look! The left door is opening 3. Người không có công ăn việc làm thường sống trong túng thiếu. The people who are out-of-work usually live in poverty 4. Ngôi nhà chị ấy sống thời niên thiếu nằm ngay bên bờ sông Thu bồn. The house where she used to live in her tender age is right beside the Thu B ồn river 5. Nước Việt nam ta giàu và đẹp. Our Country - Việt nam is rich and beautiful SESSION THREE : THÌ QUÁ KHỨ ĐƠN VÀ QUÁ KHỨ TIẾP DIỄN 1. Jane (wait) for me when I (arrive). Jane was waiting(to wait) for me when I arrived. 2. “ What you (do) this time yesterday?” “ I was asleep.” 6
What were you doing (to do/you) at this time yesterday ? I was asleep. 3. “You (go) out last night?” “ No, I was too tired.” Did you go(to go/you) out last night ? No,I was too tired. 4. ” How fast you (drive) when the accident (happen)? How fast were you driving(to drive/ you) when the accident happened ? 5. John (take) a photograph of me while I (not/ look). John took a photograph of me while I wasn't looking(to look/not). 6. We were in a very difficult position. We (not know) what to do. We were in a very difficult position. We didn't know(to know/not) what to do. 7. I haven’t seen Alan for ages. When I last (see) him, he (try) to find a job in London. I haven't seen Alan for ages. When I last saw him, he was trying (to try) to find a job in London. 8. When I was young, I (want) to be a bus driver. When I was young, I wanted(to want) to be a bus driver. 9. The sailors (swim) near their ship when they were attacked by a shark. 10. Mary (wear) her new dress when I (meet) her yesterday. Mary (was weaing) her new dress when I (met) her yesterday. 11. The sun (rise) when I (wake) up this morning. 12. The boy was knocked down by a bus as he (cross) the road. 13. He fell down and (break) his leg while he (play) football. PHẦN I: ĐỌC HIỂU: Bài 1: Chọn từ thích hợp để điền vào chỗ trống trong câu (mỗi từ chỉ được sử dụng một lần, có từ không được sử dụng ): NOISILY MOUNTAINOUS INJURIES ASHAMED FRIENDLY POSSESSIONS REFUSAL DESTRUCTION FLIGHT ENTERTAINMENT ENCOURAGED IMPRESSION 1. Television is one of the cheapest forms of ___ entertainment _____ 2. He fell off his motor- bike, but his____ injuries ____ were not serious. 3. The family managed to get out of the burning house, but they lost nearly all their_____ possessions ____ 4. I was annoyed at his____ refusal _____ to co- operate. 1. Sally came in so____ noisily _______ that she woke everyone up. 2. He said “good evening” in a most ___ friendly ___way. 7. Her boss ____ encouraged ___ her to work hard. 8. Martin was very_____ ashamed ______ of what he had done. 9. This organization is very concerned about the___ destruction ______ of the rain forests 10 The country is very____ mountainous ___ so travelling by road is difficult. Bài 2: Đọc các bài đọc dưới đây và trả lời các câu hỏi kèm theo: I. WATER Water is necessary for sustaining life in plants and animals. Men have always been interested in the nature of water. At one time, water was considered an element. Most water is derived from ocean directly or indirectly. Water which New Yorkers use does not come from Hudson River. Water used in New York homes comes from large reservoirs. Water in these reservoirs is purified. However, absolutely pure water is probably unknown. Lake water is relatively pure, especially in the mountainous regions. Most people think spring water is pure. However, water which comes from spring sometimes contains large amounts of two types of salt. Therefore, water in your springs should be analyzed. 1. What is the importance of water? It is necessary for sustaining life in plants and animals 2. How is water which New Yorkers use? It is purified in large reservoirs 3. Is there absolutely pure water in the world? Probably not 4. What should people do to spring water? It should be analyzed. II. Because writing has become so important in our culture, we sometimes think of it as more real than speech. A little thought, however, will show why speech is primary and writing secondary to language. Human beings have been writing ( as far as we can tell from surviving evidence ) for at least 5,000 years, but they have been talking for much longer, doubtless ever since there have been human beings. When writing did develop, it was derived from and represented speech, although imperfectly. Even today there are spoken languages that have no written form. Furthermore, we all learn to talk well before we learn to write: any human child who is not severely handicapped physically or mentally will learn to talk; a normal human being can not be prevented from doing so. On the other hand, it takes a special effort to learn to write: in the past many intelligent and useful members of society did not acquire the skill, and even today many who speak languages with writing systems never learn to read or write, while some who learn the rudiments of those skills do so only imperfectly. To affirm the primacy of speech over writing is not, however, to say that the latter is of little importance. One advantage writing has over speech is that it is more permanent and make possible the records that any civilization must have. Thus, if speaking makes us human writing makes us civilized. Questions : 7
1. What is more real than speech ? Writing. 2. How long have human beings had speech ? Since there were human beings. 3. Do all spoken languages in the world have their written forms ? No. 4. Can a normal human being learn to write without trying ? No. III. One year Miss Wyatt decided to have a holiday in Italy. She did not speak much Italian, but wherever she went, she was fortune enough to find people who knew enough English to be able to understand what she wanted, until one day she decided to have lunch in a charming little restaurant in a village in the south of Italy. She had seen some nice mushrooms in the market of another village nearby and thought they would taste very good, so when the waiter came to take her order, she inquired whether she could have some mushrooms for her meal, but she had great difficulty in explaining to him because she did not know the Italian word for mushrooms. At last she took out a pencil and drew a picture of a mushroom. The waiter’s face brightened at once, and he hastened out to the kitchen. A minute later he returned, carrying an umbrella. Questions : 1. Why did Miss Wyatt’s poor knowledge of Italian not interfere with her enjoyment of her holiday most of the time ? Because (wherever she went,) she was lucky enough to find people who knew enough English to be able to understand what she wanted. 2. Where did she have trouble in making herself understood ? In a charming little restaurant in a village in the south of Italy. 3. Why did she think she would like some mushrooms ? Because she had seen some nice mushrooms in the market of another village nearby. 4. How did she try to show the waiter what she wanted ? She drew a picture of a mushroom to show him 5. Why did he bring her an umbrella ? Probably the mushroom she drew looked like an umbrella Bài 3: Đọc bài đọc dưới đây và tìm một từ thích hợp để điền vào chỗ trống: Once my uncle applied for a post in Camford University, It was a (1) ___ very ___ good post and there were hundreds of (2)_____ applicants /candidates _____ who applied for it. The Dean and the committee _____ interviewed ________(3) all the candidates and as a (4)_____ result ______ of this interview only two (5)_____ left ______, my uncle and a Mr. Adams, a self-confident young fellow. As (6) ____ the _____ committee couldn’t decide (7) ___ each /who _____ of the two to take, each candidate was to give a lecture in the college lecture hall. My uncle (8) ___ worked ___ day and night at the lecture almost without eating or (9) ___ sleeping ____ . Adams didn’t seem to do any (10) ___ preparation/work ______. He ate (11) ____ like ___ a horse and slept ( 12 ) ____ like ____ a log. PHẦN II: VIẾT Bài 1: Viết các câu sau dùng từ , cụm từ cho sẵn: Ví dụ: I/ try/ find/ better car/ you I’ll try to find a better car for you. Dear Sir, 1. I / very surprised / letter / I receive / you / this morning I am so suprised at the letter I received from you this morning I am very surprised with the letter (that) I received from you this morning. 2. In it / say / I not pay / book / send / one month ago In it, you say I haven't paid for the book you sent 1 month ago In it you said I did not pay for the book that you had sent me one month ago. 3. You / say / I / send / money immediately You say that I have to send you the money immediately You also said that I had to send money immediately. 4. In fact / I return / book / you / same day / receive In fact I returned the book to you on the same day I received In fact, I returned the book to you on the same day I received it. 5. I / return / not because / not want I returned it not because I didn’t want it. 6. But because / book / be / poor condition / several torn pages I returned because the book was at a poor condition with several torn pages But because the book was in a poor condition with several torn pages. 7. I send / letter / that time / ask you / send / perfect copy / same book I sent you a letter at that time to ask you to send me a perfect copy of the same book I sent you a letter at that time asking you to send me a perfect copy of the same book. 8. I hope / you do that and / not have / write / you again / this matter Yours faithfully, Samuel Johnson I hope you will do that and I wont have to write you again in this matter. 8
I hope you will do that and I won’t have to write to you again about this matter. Bài 2 : Viết lại các câu sau sao cho không đổi nghĩa của câu gốc: Ví dụ: The door was so heavy that the child couldn’t open it. The door was too........................ The door was too heavy for the child to open. 1. The car was so rusty that it couldn’t be repaired. The car was too rusty to be repaired 2. Their dog was so fierce that nobody would visit them. They had such a fierce dog that nobody would visit them They had a fierce dog that nobody could visit them. 3. He was so tired that he fell asleep before the end of the film. He was too tired to fall asleep before the ena of the film He was too tired to watch the whole film. 4. The furniture was so expensive that I didn’t buy it. The furniture was too expensive for me to buy The furniture was too expensive for me to buy(it). 5. Is it essential to meet your aunt at the station? Does your aunt has to be met at the station? Does your aunt need meeingt at the station? 6. Even though I admire his courage, I think he is foolish. Much as i admire his courage, i think he is foolish Much as I admire his courage, I think he is foolish. Much admiration on his courage, I think he is foolish 7. Given fair warning , I could have avoided that date. If you had told me in advance, i could have avoided that date If you had told me fair warning, I could have avoided that date. If you had told me about it before, I could have avoided that date. 8. Please don’t say things like that. I wish you didn't say things like that I wish you didn’t say things like that. 9. It would have been a superb weekend if it hadn’t been for the weather. But for the weather,It would have been a superb weekend But for the weather, it would have been a superb weekend. 10. There’s a spare bed in David’s room. David’s room has a spare bed Bài 3: Dịch các câu sau sang tiếng Anh: 1.Jane, vận động viên bơi lội xuất sắc, đã đại diện cho Anh quốc tại Thế vận hội Omlypic. Jane, an excellent swimming athlete, were a representative for Britain in th Olympic games 2.Kể từ khi họ mua căn nhà đến nay đã được bao lâu rồi ? How long has it been since they bought the house ? 3.Cậu đã nói dối anh ấy, điều đó thật sai lầm. You had told a lie, which was a mistake. 4.Cô gái nhà bên cạnh năm tới sẽ lấy chồng. The girl next door is going to get married next year. 5.Tôi đã trông thấy cậu ấy ra khỏi nhà. I saw him get out of the house SESSION FOUR : THÌ QUÁ KHỨ ĐƠN VÀ QUÁ KHỨ TIẾP DIỄN 1. I (call) Roger at nine last night, but he (not be) at home. He (study) at the library. 2. I (not hear) the thunder during the storm last night because I (sleep) 3. It was beautiful yesterday when we went for a walk in the park. The sun (shine). A cool breeze (blow). The birds (sing). 4. My brother and sister (argue) about something when I (walk) into the room. 5. I got a package in the mail. When I (open) it, I (find) a surprise. 6. Tommy went to his friends’house, but the boys (not, be) there. They (play) soccer in the vacant lot down the street. 7. Stanley (climb) the stairs when he (trip) and (fall). Luckily, he (not hurt) himself. 8. While Mrs. Emerson (read) the little boy a story, he (fall) asleep, so she (close) the book and quietly (tiptoe) out of the room. 9. The rich old man (count) his money when the thief quietly (open) the door and (come) into the room. 10. The mouse (eat) a piece of cheese when the cat (catch) and (kill) it. PHẦN I: ĐỌC HIỂU: Bài 1: Chọn từ thích hợp để điền vào chỗ trống trong câu (mỗi từ chỉ được sử dụng một lần, có từ không được sử dụng ): imprisoned homeless confused satisfaction invention worldwide satisfied scientists worthless industrial confusing approval 9
1. The satellites have given us _______ worldwide _________ communications. 2. Scientific knowledge has been developed through the work of many ___ scientists _______ 3. With the ______ invention _____ of the computer, office workers can save a lot of their time. 4. There are many _____ industrial ________cities in our country. 5. The instructions were so _________ confusing _______ that I have done it all wrong. 6. The committee was not really _____ satisfied ________ with the financial inspection. 7. The urban developer submitted his plan to the City Committee for ___ approval ____. 8. He was _______ imprisoned _______ for a year. 9. The thief replaced the diamond with a _____ worthless ____ stone. 10. Thousands of people have been made _____ homeless ______ by the war. Bài 2: Đọc các bài đọc dưới đây và trả lời các câu hỏi kèm theo: I. Louis Braille was born in France in 1809. His father had a small business. He made shoes and other things from leather. Louis liked to help his father in the store even when he was very small. One day when Louis was three years old, he was cutting some leather. Suddenly the knife slipped and hit him in the eye. Louis soon became completely blind. When he was ten years old, he entered the National Institute for the Blind in Paris. One day his class went to visit a special exhibit by a captain in the army. One thing in the exhibit was very interesting for Louis. It showed messages in code. Armies send messages in secret codes so no one else can read them. The captain wrote this code in raised letters on very thick paper. Louis thought a lot about this code. Then he decided to write in the same way so blind people could “read” with their fingers. It is very difficult to feel the differences between raised letters. Instead of letters, Louis used a “cell” of six dots. He arranged the dots with two dots across and three down. There are 63 possible arrangements of the dots in the Braille system. Each arrangement stands for one letter, punctuation mark, or number. He also used his system to write music. Louis Braille invented this system when he was only fifteen years old. Blind people can also write Braille. They use a special kind of pen to make the dots. Questions : 1. What was Louis Braille’s place of birth? Louis Braille was born in France 2. How did he become blind? He became blind by the fact that One day when Louis was three years old, he was cutting some leather. Suddenly the knife slipped and hit him in the eye. Louis soon became completely blind. 3. What gave him the idea for the Braille system? The messages in secret codes used in the army gave him the idea for the braille system. 4. How old was he when he invented the Braille system? Louis Braille invented this system when he was only fifteen years old. 5. Are there raised letters in the Braille system? No, there aren’t. II. THE GREENHOUSE EFFECT Scientists say that something very serious is happening to the Earth. It will begin to get warmer in the 1990s. There will be major changes in climate during the next century. Coastal waters will have a higher temperature. This will have a serious effect on agriculture. In northern areas, the growing season will be ten days longer by the year 2000. However, in warmer areas, it will be too dry. The amount of water could decrease by fifty percent. This would cause a large decrease in agricultural production. World temperatures could increase two degrees centigrade by the year 2040. However, the increase could be three times as great in the Arctic and Antarctic regions. This would cause the ice sheets to melt and raise the level of the oceans by one or two metres. Many coastal cities would be under water. Why is this happening ? There is too much carbon dioxide (CO2 ) in the air. When oil, gas, and coal burn, they create large amounts of carbon dioxide. We send five billion tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere every year. This amount will double in fifty years. This carbon dioxide lets sunlights enter the earth’s atmosphere and heat the earth. However, it does not let as much heat leave the atmosphere and enter space. It is like a blanket. The heat can pass from the sun through the blanket to warm the earth. The heat stays there and can not escape through the blanket again. Scientists call this greenhouse effect. A greenhouse is a building for growing plants. It is made of glass or clear plastic. QUESTIONS 1. What is a greenhouse ? A greenhouse with is made of glass or clear plastic 2. What causes the greenhouse effect ? There is too much carbon dioxide in the air 3. Why do scientists call this the greenhouse effect ? Scientists call this the greenhouse effect because there is too much carbon dioxide(CO2) in the air. This carbon dioxide lets sunlights enter the earth’s atmosphere and heat the earth. However, it dose not let sa much heat leave the atmosphere and enter space. It is like a blanket. The heat can pass from the sun through the blanket to warm the earth. The heat stays there and can not escape through the blanket again. 4. What changes will this effect make in the earth’s climate ? This effect will make a lot of major changes in the Earth’s climate such as higher temperature in coastal waters, seriours effect on agriculture, dry area, decreasing amount of water and decreasing in agricultural. 5. What would the temperature in the Arctic and Antarctic regions be in the year 2040 ? 10
The temperature wuold in the Arctic and Antarctic regions would be three times in the year 2040. Bài 3: Đọc bài đọc dưới đây và tìm một từ thích hợp để điền vào chỗ trống: In 1847, Michael Moore, a poverty-stricken seventeen-year-old farm worker __ left ___(1) Ireland for America. ___ Whatever ___(2) the future held in store for him, he did not know. However, he __ did __(3) know that it could not be any worse __ than ___(4) the past. He had __ grown __(5) up during the Great Famine in Ireland and had known what it was to be very hungry. He had ___ witnessed __(6) his mother die __ of __(7) typhus a month before; his father had died a year after Michael was born. There was nothing now __ to ___(8) keep him in Ireland and so, ___ in __(9) a bright June morning, he stepped on ___ finally/board ___(10) a ship bound for America. In years to come he would remember this moment. PHẦN II: VIẾT Bài 1: Viết các câu sau dùng từ , cụm từ cho sẵn: Ví dụ: I/ try/ find/ better car/ you I’ll try to find a better car for you. 1. Don’t / me / unless / confused Don’t bother/ask me unless you are confused. 2. he / write / the theatre / when / young He used to write music for the theatre when he was young. 3. if / had worked hard / last year’s exams If he had worked hard, he would have passed last year’s exams. 4. arrive / in a few hours / HaNoi I am arriving in HaNoi in a few hours. 5. in my life / have / never been In my life, I have never been to Ha Noi. Bài 2 : Viết lại các câu sau sao cho không đổi nghĩa của câu gốc: Ví dụ: The door was so heavy that the child couldn’t open it. The door was too........................ The door was too heavy for the child to open. 1. I only made that terrible mistake because I wasn’t thinking. If I …… had been thinking, I wouldn't have made that terrible mistake ……… If I had thought over. I would not have made that terrible mistake. 2. He knows nearly everything there is to know about whales. There’s very little/not a lot/hardly anything he doesn't know about whales There’s knowledge about whales he gets 3. I only realized what I had missed when they told me about it later. Only when I realized what had i missed when they told Only when they told me about it, did I realize what I had missed. 4. As TV programs become more popular, they seem to get worse. The more popular TV programmes become, the worse they seem to get The more popular TV programs become, the worse they seem to get. 5. Since we had nothing else to do, we decided to go for a walk. Having nothing else to do, we decided to go for a walk Having nothing to do, we decided to go for a walk. 6. The engine failed because a part had been badly fitted. The engine failure was that a part had been badly fitted . The engine failure was due to a badly fitted part. The engine failure was caused by a badly fitted part. 7. Why didn’t I think of that before. I should have thought of that before . I should have thought of it before. 8. If we can solve the problem soon, it will be better for all concerned. The sooner we can solve the problem, the better it will be for all concerned. Bài 3: Dịch các câu sau sang tiếng Anh: 1.So với cách đây vài năm, bây giờ xăng dầu đắt gấp hai lần. Compared with afew year ago, the cost of pertrol now is twice of expensive of it used to be 2.Lẽ ra cậu nên làm như tớ đã chỉ. You should have done like what I had told you about 3.Tiếng ồn gì thế ? Nghe như một đứa bé đang khóc. What kind of noise is that ? I sound a baby crying 4.Lâu nay tôi cố gắng học tiếng Anh, thế nhưng tôi vẫn chưa hài lòng với những tiến bộ đạt được. I have been trying to learn English for a long time, but I haven’t been satisfied with the progress I have made 5.Bộ phim khác xa với những gì tôi tưởng. The film was far different from what I had imagered 6.Trung tâm thành phố tràn ngập khách du lịch đến từ đủ mọi nước. City centre is full of the tourist from all different countries SESSION FIVE : BÀI TẬP 1: THÌ QUÁ KHỨ ĐƠN VÀ HIỆN TẠI HOÀN THÀNH 1. What (you/ learn) since you (come) here? How many new friends (you/ make)? I hope you (already/ meet) a lot of interesting people. 11
2. Since classes began I (not have) much free time. I (have) several big tests to study for. 3. Last night my roommate and I (have) some free time, so we (go) to a show 4. Since the beginning of the twentieth century, medical scientists (make) many important discoveries. 5. Mr Count (work) as a cashier for 20 years. Then he (retire) and (go) to live in the countryside. 6. Mr Brown is the bank manager. He (be ) here for five years. 7. The actors (arrive) yesterday and (start) rehearsals early this morning. 8. I can’t go out because I (not finish) my work. 9. You (have) breakfast yet?- Yes, I (have) it at 8:00 10. He (live) in London for two years and then (go) to Edinburgh 11. When I (leave) school, I (cut) my hair and (wear) it short ever since. 12. He (not smoke) for two weeks. He is trying to give it up. 13. We (miss) the bus. Now we have to walk. 14. It (be) very cold this year. I wonder when it is going to get warmer. 15. Chopin (compose) some of his music in Majorca. 16. You (be) here before?- Yes, I (spend) my holidays here last year_ You (have) good time?_ No, it (never stop) raining. PHẦN I: ĐỌC HIỂU: Bài 1: Chọn từ thích hợp để điền vào chỗ trống trong câu (mỗi từ chỉ được sử dụng một lần, có từ không được sử dụng ): HARMLESS SPEEDY STRENGTHEN WIDE APPLICANTS MUSICIANS POISONOUS BEHAVIOUR RELIABLE WARMTH CRIMINAL 1. There were over fifty______ musicians ___ in the orchestra. 2.Jim always does what he says; he’s a very_____ reliable ____ person. 3. Alexander knows which mushrooms are ___ poisonous __, so ask him before you pick them. 4. The company is very efficient and gives a _____ speedy ________ service. 5. The _____ warmth_____ of the fire was very welcome after our long walk. 6. John’s _____ behaviour ______ improved at his new school. 7. Work is going on to ___ strengthen ____ the bridge, which carries a great deal of traffic. 8. That large dog is perfectly____ harmless _____ and has never been known to attack anyone. 9. We have decided to interview only the best six _____ applicants _______ for the job. 10. No one with a recent_____ criminal ___ record will be considered for this job. Bài 2: Đọc các bài đọc dưới đây và trả lời các câu hỏi kèm theo: I. The controversy surrounding the relationships between and roles of men and women is, perhaps, one of the features of the second half of the twentieth century in Western societies. In the United States of America, for example, both sexes are, more or less aggressively, demanding freedom from the constraints of traditional attitudes towards the roles of the sexes and marriage. The impact of this can be seen in the rising divorce rate, falling birth rate and the increasing number of couples living together without a marriage license. It is perhaps interesting to speculate on the future roles of men and women. In developed countries, if the advent of the silicon chip leads to mass unemployment and a revolutionized attitude towards work and leisure, what will be the effect on, for example, women who at present express their equality with men primarily through their work; if oil, coal and gas run out and alternative energy sources can not take up the slack in domestic supplies, what effect will this have on the roles of men and women in domestic life ? In developing societies, how will increasing exposure to Western society ( through the media and travel ) and improved technology affect the role of women ? One can obviously guess at the answers, but what do you think or hope will happen ? Questions : 1. What is one of the features of the 20th century in the Western societies ? It is the controversy surrounding the relationships between and roles of men and women 2. Are American men and women still happy with their traditional role in the family ? No, they aren’t 3. How can women express their equality with men ? 12
Through their work 4. How are developing countries exposed to Western societies ? Through the media and travel II. In societies where people tend to live together in extended family groups, - consisting of grandparents, great uncles and aunts, parents, aunts and uncles, children and cousins, for example - care of both young and old is the natural function of the group. The State is only needed when the efficiency of the group breaks down, because of illness or poverty, for example. In Britain, however, people tend to live in nuclear family groups ( parents and children only ), with the result that the care of the old is a social problem and the State needs to intervene. What is more, if the relationship between husband and wife breaks down, the children are immediately at risk, and State intervention may be necessary for them too. Where parents do care for their children, however, they usually take their responsibilities very seriously. The British population is already one of the oldest in Europe, and it is slowly getting older. In 1990 the median age in Britain was thirty-six but it will rise to forty-one by 2020. At the end of the 1990s the number of pensioners will begin to rise rapidly, and the workforce will shrink. One result will be that by 2020 there will be twice as many people aged eighty-five or over as in 1990. A disproportionate number of the old, incidentally, choose to retire to the south coast and East Anglia, creating regional imbalances. Questions : 1. What is an extended family ? An extended family is a big family consisting of many members such as grandparents, great uncles and aunts, parents, aunts and uncles, children and cousins 2. What is a nuclear family ? A nuclear family is a small one with only parents and chilren 3. Who takes care of the young and old in an extended family ? Members such sa parent, Uncles and aunts take care of the young and old in an extended family 4. What is a possible consequence if the relationship between the husband and the wife breaks down The chilren are immediately at risk Bài 3: Đọc bài đọc dưới đây và tìm một từ thích hợp để điền vào chỗ trống: John Bradley was surprised to find a letter (1)…… left ….…for him on his desk when he arrived at work. Before (2)…… opening …..…it, he hung up his coat and took out his glasses. “Dear Mr. Bradley,” he read, “ we are sorry to (3)…… tell/inform …....you that your services are no longer required (4)… now ……” He couldn’t believe it. After (5)…… working.…for the company for 30 years, he had been made redundant, one Monday morning without (6) …… being.…..warned in any way at all. There was no point in (7)…. continuing …….the letter. The ending was obvious. “Thank you for your loyalty and dedication over the years, and we hope you will enjoy (8)…… having..….more time to spend”. The company wanted him to go away quietly and enjoy his premature retirement. He was 52. How he could manage to find another (9)…… job..…at his age? He knew that firms were not interested in (10)….. employing …….people over 45, let alone over fifty. Could he still afford to (11) …… send …....his daughters to their expensive school? He sat back in his chair and looked out of the window, (12)…… wondering ….…what to do next. He decided to leave the office as soon as possible. He did not want anyone to (13)…… see ……… him while he left so sadly . So he put on his coat and for the last time closed the office door (14)……… behind …….him and left the building. Out in the street, it had (15)……… started …….. to rain. He had forgotten to bring his (16)……… umbrella ………..that morning, so he turned up his overcoat collar and walked towards the station to (17)………… catch …..……his train home. He didn’t know what to say to his wife. The thought of (18)…… bringging/giving ……..…the news to her made him feel sick. PHẦN II: VIẾT Bài 1: Viết các câu sau dùng từ , cụm từ cho sẵn: Ví dụ: I/ try/ find/ better car/ you I’ll try to find a better car for you. 1. How long/you/ waiting/ answer? How long have you been waiting for the answer? 2. After/ I/ entered/ house/ it/ to rain. After I had entered my house , it began to rain After I had entered the/my/her house, it began to rain. 3. Dress/ small/ not/ fit/ her. The dress is so small that it doesn’t fit her. 4. He/ see her/ walk/ alone/ park/ ago. He saw her walk/walking alone in the park two days ago. 5. Time/ children/ go/ bed. It’s time for the children to go to bed It’s time the children should go to bed It’s time the children went to bed 6. The film/ so good/ I/ it/ twice. The film is so good that I have watched/seen it twice. 7. If/ I/ your position/ not/ so/ do. If I were in your position, I would not do so.(Type 2) If I had been in your position, I would not have done so. (Type 3) Bài 2 : Viết lại các câu sau sao cho không đổi nghĩa của câu gốc: Ví dụ: The door was so heavy that the child couldn’t open it. 13
The door was too........................ The door was too heavy for the child to open. 1. There was never any answer when we rang. Every time we rang , there was no answer.............................. 2. That’s an insulting name to use for him. Don’t call him with an insulting name................... Don’t call him that insulting name. 3. John was asking if it was the blue one or the green she wanted. “ Which do you want, the blue one or the green one?” John said to her” “ Which one do you want, the blue or the green one?” asked John. 4. She liked Paris very little, and Rome less. She thought Rome was even worse than Paris................. She thought Rome was even worse than Paris. She thought Rome was even less interesting than Paris. 5. No, please don’t tell him. I’d rather you didn't tell him ........................... 6. Why don’t you ask her yourself ? I suggest that you should ask her yourself.......................... 7. You really should be able to dress yourself by now! It’s high …… time you dressed yourself ……. It’s high time you were able to dress yourself. 8. My parents find fault with everything I do. No matter what I do, my parents find fault with it …….. No matter what I do, my parents find fault. No matter what I do, my parents find it faulty. 9. As I get older, I want to travel less. The older I get, the less I want to travel ….. 10. Someone repaired her car yesterday. She had her car repaired yesterday .. .. .. . . . . . . . . . Bài 3: Dịch các câu sau sang tiếng Anh: 1.Hôm nay vào 7:30 tối vô tuyến truyền hình có chương trình gì? What is on TV at 7:30 pm to day ? 2.Nhớ mang theo áo mưa nhớ trời mưa! Remember to pring a raincoat in case it rain 3.Cậu bé lên mười tuổi mới biết nói. The little boy couldn’t speak until be was ten year old 4.Một trong những căn bệnh hiểm nghèo nhất mà loài người mắc phải là bệnh Aids One of the most dangerous disease that human be get is Aids 5.Ở nhiều quốc gia sản xuất lương thực không theo kịp mức độ gia tăng dân số. In many countries, food production can’t cacth up with the increasing population SESSION SIX : PHẦN I: ĐỌC HIỂU: Bài 1: Chọn từ thích hợp để điền vào chỗ trống trong câu (mỗi từ chỉ được sử dụng một lần, có từ không được sử dụng ): ADVERTISEMENT DIFFERENT OVERSLEPT ACTION ATTRACTIONS DIFFERENTIATE OUTLIVED DISADVANTAGE SURPRISINGLY SOCIABLE ADDITIVES 1. They were so alike. It was sometimes impossible to ______ differentiate ____between them. 2. He has many friends because he is so ________ sociable _______. 3. I ____ overslept _____ this morning, and was late for school. 4. A holiday in America can be ______ surprisingly _________cheap. 5. My grandfather ____ outlived _______my grandmother by five years. 6. We must take ___ action ____before things get worse. 7. Are all those __ additives ___they put in food really necessary? 8. Unfortunately, you‘ll be at a ___ disadvantage ___if you can’t drive. 9. I saw an ___ advertisement ____for the job in our local newspaper. 11. I only had a day to visit all the tourist ____ attractions ____. Bài 2: Đọc các bài đọc dưới đây và trả lời các câu hỏi kèm theo: I. During the teenage years, many people can at times be difficult to talk to. They often seem to dislike being questioned. They may seem unwilling to talk about their work in school. This is a normal development at this age, though it can be very hard for parents to understand. It is part of becoming independent of teenagers trying to be adult while they are still growing up. Young people are usually more willing to talk if they believe that questions are asked out of real interest and not because people are trying to check up on them. Parents should do their best to talk to their sons or daughters about schoolwork and future plans but should not push them to talk if they don’t want to. Parents should also watch for the danger signs: some young people in trying to be adult may experiment with sex, drugs, alcohol or smoking. Parents need to watch for any signs of unusual behaviour which may be connected with these and get help if necessary. QUESTIONS : 1. Why do adults sometimes find teenagers difficult to talk to ? 2. When can you expect young people to be more talkative than usual ? 3. Why may some teenagers experiment with drinking and smoking ? 4. What should parents do if they notice any signs of their children’s unusual behaviour? 14
II. A. Đọc bài sau đây và các câu phía dưới. Câu nào có nội dung đúng với bài đọc thì ghi là T (true), câu nào sai ghi F (false). I knew it was going to be a bad day when, on the way to the airport the taxi-driver told me he was lost. I had booked my flight over the telephone, so when we finally arrived, I had to rush to the reservation desk to pay for my ticket. The woman at the desk told me that my name was not on the passenger list. It took fifteen minutes for her to realize that she had spelled my name incorrectly. She gave me the ticket and told me I'd better check in my luggage quickly or I'd miss my flight. I was the last person to get on the plane. I found my seat and discovered that I was sitting next to a four-year-old boy who had a cold. I sat down and wondered if anything else could go wrong. I hate flying, especially take-off, but the plane took off and everything seemed to be all right. Then, a few minutes later, there was a funny noise and everything started to shake. I looked out of the window and- oh my God- there was smoke coming out of the wing. All I could think was 'The engine is on fire. We are going to crash, I am too young to die'. Almost immediately, the captain spoke to un in a very calm voice "Ladies and gentlemen. This is your captain speaking. We are having a slight technical problem with one of our engines. There is no need to panic. We will have to return to the airport. Please remain seated and keep your seat belts fastened." A few minutes later, we were coming in to land. The pilot made a perfect landing on the runway. It was over. We were safe. That day, I decided not to fly again. I caught another taxi and went home. But as I closed the front door, I looked down at my case. Somehow I had picked up the wrong suitcase. Questions : 1. There was nothing wrong with her on the way to the airport. 2. She was in a great hurry at the airport. 3. It took her about fifteen minutes to get her ticket. 4. She was happy to sit next to a four-year-old boy who had a cold. 5. A few minutes after the plane had taken off, its engine was on fire. 6. The plane had to come back to the airport. 7. The pilot was very good at his job. 8. The suitcase she brought home wasn't hers. III. Mahatma Gandhi was born in 1869, and was sent to England in 1888 where he studied law. When he graduated he took a job in South Africa where he first began to struggle against injustice. The South Africans looked down upon non- Europeans, and the black, white and Indian people were kept separate. Gandhi developed his policy of non- violent passive resistance to authority, and was imprisoned several times. In 1914 he went back to India. He believed that the end of British colonial rule was inevitable, and he struggled for independence. Gandhi was so against violence that once he decided to fast unless the fighting stopped. He spent several periods in prison, but always looked forward to an end to British rule, and to a united India where Hindus and Moslems could live together in peace. Questions: 1. When did Gandhi’s struggle against injustice begin ? 2. What policy did he set up for his struggle ? 3. What was an example of his anti-violence viewpoint ? 4. Did he want the Hindus and the Moslems to live separately ? IV. The human race is spread all over the world, from the polar regions to the tropics. The people of which it is made up eat different kinds of food, partly according to the kind of food which their countries produced. Thus, in India, people live chiefly on different kinds of grain, eggs, milk, or sometimes fish and meat. In Europe, people eat more flesh and less grain. In the Arctic regions ,where no grain and fruits are produced, the Eskimo and other races live almost entirely on flesh , especially fat. The man of one race is able to eat the food of another race, if they are brought into the country inhabited by the latter. But as a rule, they still prefer their own food, at least for a time. In warm climates flesh and fat are not much needed, but in the Arctic regions they seem to be very necessary for keeping up the heat of the body. Questions: 1. What kind of food do they eat in Europe? 15
2. Why are flesh and fat needed in the Arctic regions? 3. What does the word “latter” refer to? Bài 3: Đọc bài đọc dưới đây và tìm một từ thích hợp để điền vào chỗ trống: Mother Teresa Mother Teresa was born in Yugoslavia on August 27 th 1910. She grew ___ up ___(1) with her brother and sister in a very happy ___ family ___( 2 ), and attended the government school near her home __ until ____(3 ) she was eighteen. At that time, some missionaries from Yugoslavia were ___ working ___( 4) in Calcutta, and they often wrote to the school about their ___ missions/work ___(5 ). She decided to ___ join ___(6 ) them. When she finished school, she went first to Ireland and after ___ that ___( 7) to India, where she began to train ___ for/herself ___( 8 ) the religious life. After training, she was sent to Calcutta, where she ___ taught ___( 9 ) geography at a high school and eventually ___ became ___(10 ) Principal. However, ___ athough ___(11 ) she loved teaching, in 1946 Mother Teresa left the school and went to work in the slums of Calcutta. She did some nursing training in Patna, and then began her work helping the ___ poor ___(12 ) and comforting the dying in the streets of the ___ city ___(13 ). Gradually, others came to help her, and her work __ spread ____( 14) to other parts of India. Mother Teresa was a well-known figure. ___ Dressed/Being ___(15 ) in her white and blue sari, she was photographed all over the world, as she travelled to open ___ new ___(16 ) schools and hospitals in ___ many ___( 17) countries. In 1979, she was ___ awarded ___(18 ) the Nobel Prize – a small tribute to the lifetime of love ____ and __(19 ) service she has ___ dedicated/given ___( 20) to the poor. She died on September 5, 1997, to the greatest grief of the whole world. PHẦN II: VIẾT Bài 1: Viết các câu sau dùng từ , cụm từ cho sẵn: Ví dụ: I/ try/ find/ better car/ you I’ll try to find a better car for you. 1. police / look / murderer / two days Police have been looking for a murderer for 2 days. The police have been looking for the murderer for two days. 2. what / population / of / Manchester? What is the population of Manchester? 3 my sister / in love / best engineer / factory. My sister falls in love with the best engineer in her factory. 4. car / fast and comfortable / than / motorcycle. Cars are faster and comfortable than motorcycles. Driving a car is faster and more comfortable than riding a motorcycle./ A car is faster and more comfortable than a motorcycle. 5. I/ already finish / read / long novel / Arthur Hailey I have already finished reading a long novel written by Arthur Hailey. Bài 2 : Viết lại các câu sau sao cho không đổi nghĩa của câu gốc: Ví dụ: The door was so heavy that the child couldn’t open it. The door was too........................ The door was too heavy for the child to open. 1.
It won’t make any difference if it rains because we’ll still go. We’ll still go ……………. We'll still go even though it rains We'll still go although it rains We’ll still go eventhough it rains. 2. We left quietly, so that we wouldn’t disturb the children. So as not to disturb the children, we left quietly …………. So as not to disturb the children, we left quietly. 3. I’m sure he didn’t know that his brother was seriously ill. He couldn’t possibly have known that his brother was seriously ill …… He couldn’t possibly have known that his brother was seriously ill. 4. His second attempt on the world record was successful. He broke the world record on his second attempt ………. He broke the world record successfully at his second attempt. 5. This will be the orchestra’s first performance outside London. This will be the first time the orchestra perform outside London This will be the first time the orchestra have performed outside London. 6. Arthur said he was sorry he had hurt her feelings. Arthur apologized for having hurt her feelings ………. Arthur apologized for having hurt her feelings. 7. He remembered, and so did she. He didn’t forget and neither did she/ and she didn't either ……….. He didn’t forget, and neither did she. 8. When are the council going to do something about the city’s traffic problems? It’s high time something is going to be done about the city’s traffic It’s high time something was going to be done about the city’s traffic problems by the council Bài 3: Dịch các câu sau sang tiếng Anh: 16
1.Bạn có thể kể tên một số nước nói tiếng Anh như tiếng mẹ đẻ được không ? Can you name some countries where English is used as a mother language? 2.Trước kia người ta tưởng rằng nguồn tài nguyên thiên nhiên không thể bị cạn kiệt được. People thought that our natural resources would never be exhausted. 3.Khi chọn mua một cuốn sách tiếng Anh bạn phải chú ý sao cho cuốn sách đó phù hợp với trình độ tiếng Anh của bạn. When you decide to buy an English book, you should make sure that it suits your English level. 4. Ở nhiều quốc gia với cùng một công việc phụ nữ chỉ được hưởng bằng 40 đến 60% mức lương của nam giới. In many countries, women are paid only 40-60% of men’s wayes for the same job SESSION SEVEN : PHẦN I: ĐỌC HIỂU: Bài 1: Chọn từ thích hợp để điền vào chỗ trống trong câu (mỗi từ chỉ được sử dụng một lần, có từ không được sử dụng ): SAVINGS LIAR FREEDOM INCONSISTENT CHILDHOOD RIDICULOUS SUCCESSFUL EVENTUALLY PROOF ECONOMICAL THREATEN 1.Although the police suspected him of the crime, since they had no definite …… proof … that he was involved, they could not arrest him. 2. I spent my…… childhood ….. in the country. 3. After hours of going from one hotel to another, we…… eventually ……found one which was not fully booked. 4. The trouble with Mr. Brown is that he’s so … inconsistent …… One minute he goes mad when you come late; the next he says nothing. You never know where you are 5. You can’t wear those trousers, Sally. They’re far too tight. You look… ridiculous …. in them. 6. It is much more......... economical........ to buy that car. 7. After 15 years in prison John was given his......... freedom........ . 8. If you ........ threaten......... me I will simply inform the police 9. When Bill and Jane retire, they are planning to spend all their....... savings ....... on a Mediterranean holiday. 10. Don’t believe any word Tim says. He is a terrible..... liar........ . Bài 2: Đọc các bài đọc dưới đây và trả lời các câu hỏi kèm theo: I. Jack was a young sailor. He lived in England, but he was often away with his ship. One summer he came back from a long voyage and found new neighbours near his mother’s house. They had a pretty daughter, and Jack soon loved her very much. He said to her, “ My next voyage will begin in a few days’ time, Gloria. I love you, and I’ll marry you when I come back. I’ll think about you all the time, and I’ll write to you and send you a present from every port.” Jack’s first port was Freetown in Africa, and he sent Gloria a parrot from there. It spoke five languages. When Jack’s ship reached Australia, there was a letter from Gloria. It said, “ Thank you for the parrot, Jack. It tasted much better than a chicken.” Questions : 1. Where did Gloria live? 2. Where did Jack send Gloria the parrot from? 3. Who could speak five languages? 4. What did Gloria do to the parrot? II. SECONDHAND SMOKE Most people know that cigarette smoking is harmful to their health. Scientific research shows that it causes many kinds of diseases. In fact, many people who smoke get lung cancer. However, Edward Gilson has lung cancer, and he has never smoked cigarettes. He lives with his wife, Evelyn, who has smoked about a pack of cigarettes a day throughout their marriage. The Gilsons have been married for 35 years. No one knows for sure why Mr. Gilson has lung cancer. Nevertheless, doctors believe that secondhand smoke may cause lung cancer in people who do not smoke. Nonsmokers often breathe in the smoke from other people’s cigarettes. This is secondhand smoke. Edward Wilson has been breathing this type of smoke for 35 years. Now he is dying of lung cancer. However, he is not alone. The US. Environmental Protection Agency reports that about fifty-three thousand people die in the United States each year as a result of exposure to secondhand smoke. The smoke that comes from a lit cigarette contains many different poisonous chemicals. In the past, scientists did not think that these chemicals could harm a nonsmoker’s health. Recently, though, scientists changed their opinion after they studied a large group of nonsmokers. They discovered that even nonsmokers had unhealthy amounts of these toxic chemicals in their bodies. As a matter of fact, almost all of us breathe tobacco smoke at times, whether we realize it or not. For example, we can not avoid secondhand smoke in restaurants, hotels, and other public places. Even though many public places have nonsmoking areas, smoke flows in from the areas where smoking is permitted. It is even harder for children to avoid secondhand smoke. In the United States, nine million children under the age of five live in homes with at least one smoker. Research shows that these children are sick more often than children who live in homes where no one smokes. The damaging effects of secondhand smoke on children also continue as they grow up. The children of smokers are more than twice as 17
likely to develop lung cancer when they are adults as children of nonsmokers. The risk is even higher for children who live in homes where both parents smoke. People are becoming very aware of the danger of secondhand smoke. As a result, they have passed laws that prohibit people from smoking in many public places. Currently, 45 states in the United States have laws that restrict, or limit, smoking. The most well-known law forbids people to smoke on short domestic airline flights, i.e., flights within the country. After smoking for most of her life, Evelyn Gilson has finally quit. She feels that if more people know about the dangers of secondhand smoke, they will stop, too. Her decision comes too late to help her husband. However, there is still time to protect the health of others, especially children, who live with smokers. Questions: 1. What may be a reason why Edward Wilson has lung cancer ? Probably he has been breathing secondhand smoke from his wife’s smoking during their marriage. 2. What is secondhand smoke ? It is the smoke from other people’s cigarette smoking. 3. Why might secondhand smoke harm nonsmokers ? Because it contains many different poisonous chemicals. 4. What are some laws that prohibit smoking in certain places ? They are laws that prohibit smoking in public places and on short domestic flights. 5. What is the main idea of this passage ? About the dangers of secondhand smoke Bài 3: Đọc bài đọc dưới đây và tìm một từ thích hợp để điền vào chỗ trống: HOW TELEVISION WAS INVENTED Television owes its origins to many inventors. But it was the single-minded determination of an amateur inventor, John Logie Baird, that led (1)_______ to _____ the first live television broadcast. Born in Scotland in 1888 and educated in Glasgow, John Logie Baird earned a living (2)_______ as _____ a razor-blade salesman. In the 1890s Guliedmo Marconi showed that sound could (3)________ be ____ sent by radio waves. Baird became convinced that a similar system could transmit a picture. He spent most of (4)_______ his _____ spare time working on his ideas in his tiny workshop without (5)_____ any/having _______ commercial support. He (6)______ had /used ______ to use his (7)_____ entire /own _______ earnings to continue his research. In 1924, Baird successfully transmitted the general outline of a figure more (8)_____ than _______ 3 metres. He continued to experiment and (9)_____ on _______ October 25, 1925 transmitted a recognizable image of a doll. He ran (10)_____ down/quickly _______ to the office on the ground floor and persuaded one of the office boys to come upstairs. (11)____ The ________ boy became the first living image transmitted by television. Overnight, Baird became famous and the money (12)_____ that _______ he needed to continue his research was at (13)_______ once _____ made available. In 1927 he made a transmission from London to Glasgow and in 1928 he made (14)_____ another/it _______ from London to New York. He continued experimenting (15)_____ and _______ spent his last years exploring the possibility of colour television. PHẦN II: VIẾT Bài 1: Viết các câu sau dùng từ , cụm từ cho sẵn: Ví dụ: I/ try/ find/ better car/ you I’ll try to find a better car for you. 1. As/soon/get/ back/holiday/I/longing/next. As soon as I get back from holiday, I am longing for the next. 2. In spite/ doctor/warn/keep/smoke In spite of the doctor’s warnings, he keeps smoking. 3. She/ believed/ taken/ revolutionary activities. She is believed to have taken part in revolutionary activities. 4. It/impossible/work/that condition. It is impossible to work in that condition. 5. Since/she/not certain/way/asked/policeman/ Since she was not certain of the way, she asked a policeman for help. 6. make / laws / effective / only / this way We can make laws more effective only by this way. Bài 2 : Viết lại các câu sau sao cho không đổi nghĩa của câu gốc: Ví dụ: The door was so heavy that the child couldn’t open it. The door was too........................ The door was too heavy for the child to open. 1.
Thanks for reminding me about this meeting; otherwise I would have missed it. If you … didn't remind me about this meeting,I would have missed it …. If you hadn’t reminded me about this meeting, I would have missed it. 2. I don’t normally go into town by car. I’m not …… used to going into town by car.……. I’m not used to going into town by car. 3. I would like to express my thanks for everything you have done for me. I’d like to say how thankful……… I am for everything you have done for me ……. I’d like to say how thankful I am for what you have done for me. 18
I’d like to say how thankful I am to everything you have done for me. 4. Don’t you regret not learning to swim? Don’t you wish …… you had learn to swim?……. Don’t you wish you had learnt to swim? 5. Mary will be ready any minute, and then we must leave. We must leave as soon as soon as Mary will be ready .……. We must leave as soon as Mary is ready. 6. The last time I saw him was when I lived in London. I haven't seen him since I lived in London …… I have not seen him since I left London. 7. I’ve got to get a new computer. What I really ……………. What I really need is a new computer What I really need a new computer. What I really need is a computer What I really need is to get a new computer What I really need is a new computer. 8. The play was so boring that we left in the interval. We were so……… were so bored with the play that we left in the interval …… We were so fed up with the play that we left in the interval. We were so bored of the play that we left in the interval. 9. “Mark, could you write up the report immediately?” Peter said. Peter told Mark that he wanted the report to be written up immediately Peter told Mark that he could you write up the report immediately. Bài 3: Dịch các câu sau sang tiếng Anh: 1.Đã lâu lắm rồi tôi không gặp Lan. Lần cuối cùng chúng tôi gặp nhau, cô ấy đang tìm việc làm ở Hà nội. I have not seen Lan for ages when we last met, she was looking for a job in Ha Noi 2.Chị không cách nào tìm ra cái túi xách. Em có thấy nó ở đâu không ? I cound not find my handbag anyway. Did you see it any where? 3.Tôi đói bụng quá. Từ bữa sáng đến giờ chưa có gì vào bụng. I’am very hungry. I haven’t eaten anything since breakfast 4.A, Tôm. Tớ tìm cậu cả sáng nay. Cậu ở chỗ nào ra vậy ? Hey, Tom. I have been looking for you the whole morning. Where have you been SESSION EIGHT : CÁC LOẠI THÌ CỦA ĐỘNG TỪ: 1. So far this week, I (have) two tests and a quiz. 2. The science of medicine (advance) a great deal in the nineteenth century. 3. Many people (see) the accident while they (wait) for the bus. 4. Today is Thursday. John (be) late twice this week; he (be) late yesterday and on Monday 5. I first (meet) Jonh a month ago, and I (meet) him several times since then. 6. It (rain) very heavily last Monday, but it (not rain) much since then. 7. He always (wear) a raincoat and (carry) an umbrella when he walked to the office. 8. Tom never (do) any work in the garden; he always (work) on his car. 9. Ann (make) a dress for herself at the moment. She (make) all her own clothes. 10. Amy (not hear) her parents having an argument last night. She (listen) to music in her room. 11. The children are at the park. They (play) ball for the last two hours, but they don’t seem to be tired yet. 12. Last Monday, while we (watch) an exciting game in our living room, the electricity (go) out. PHẦN I: ĐỌC HIỂU: Bài 1: Chọn từ thích hợp để điền vào chỗ trống trong câu (mỗi từ chỉ được sử dụng một lần, có từ không được sử dụng ): HELPFUL BEGIN UNCOMFORTABLE HOMELESS BELIEFINDUSTRIAL PROUD RETIREMENT SIMILARITY COMPARISON OF ENDLESS 1. I write endless letters ___ of _____ application, but got no reply. 2. In _____ comparison ____ with most other countries, Britain has a very high rate of heart attack. 3. These old people have saved a lot of money for their _____ retirement _______. 4. The ____ industrial _____area of the city is not very attractive. 5. Many ___ homeless ______ families have to live in hostels. 19
6. He was very ___ proud _____ of the work he had done. 7. He doesn’t agree with the ____ belief ___ that there is life on other planets. 8. There is a great ____ similarity _____ between Hari and his twin brother. 9. These shoes look quite smart but they are terribly _____ uncomfortable ____. 10. It’s a nice shop and the assistants are all polite and very ____ helpful ______. Bài 2: Đọc các bài đọc dưới đây và trả lời các câu hỏi kèm theo: I. The general opinion abroad is that London has fog or rain or both, everyday of the year, but on the day that I arrived it was fine and warm, there was a bright sun and a cloudless sky. The next day it was just as beautiful; there was a slight wind that gently moved the leaves on the trees, and you could smell the spring in the air. “Life is grand”, I thought as I walked in Kensington Gardens. It was a straight road and I found the way quite easily. When I got my first sight of the Gardens the beauty of it nearly took my breath away. The trees were just bursting into leaf, fresh and green and lovely, and there were beds of spring flowers, red and yellow and blue, in the beautiful, smooth grass under the trees. Questions : 1. What is the weather like in London according to general opinion ? It has fog or rain or both 2. What was the weather like when the writer visited London ? It was fine and warm with a bright sun and cloudless sky 3. What season did the writer feel in London ? Spring 4. What was his feeling when he first saw the Gardens ? He was very excited. II. There are people whose immortality begins from the moment of their death. Hemingway is one of them. He was a great man. The whole of his creative work was a long struggle, for Hemingway, the man and the writer, had many enemies. Perhaps his great enemy was war. He hated it with all his heart, with his whole body, in which 28 bullets had left their traces. Hemingway hated those who made business of war. In an introduction to his novel “A Farewell To Arms”, Hemingway said that wars started by people who profited from them, and he suggested that those warlike people should be shot on the very first day of war, by sentence of the people. Hemingway hated fascism. He never surrendered. He fought against it with the pen and the sword. Questions : 1. What type of people did Hemingway belong to? He belongs to those whose immortality begins from the moment of their death 2. Why was his creative work a long struggle? Because he had many enemies. 3. Who started wars, according to Hemingway? They are those who profited from wars. 4. How did he fight against fascism? With his pen and the sword. III. A World Health Organization team investigating the deadly SARS virus says it is possible there is more than one cause of the illness. The group, which is meeting with experts in southern China, says it has found evidence that both the bacteria chlamydia and the coronavirus could be sources of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome. Chlamydia is normally transmitted sexually, and the coronavirus is commonly found in animals. Scientists believe SARS originated in China's Guangdong province, and are racing to find its cause so they can develop a cure. On Friday, China issued a public apology for the way it handled early information about the epidemic. The head of the Chinese Center for Disease Control, Li Leming, admitted there was poor communication between China's medical departments and mass media in providing timely information about the disease. SARS has claimed at least 85 lives worldwide, about half of them in China. More than 2500 people are infected in 18 countries. On Saturday, Hong Kong reports 39 new cases of SARS and three more deaths from the disease. Malaysia said on Saturday that a man who died six days ago was probably the country's first known victim of SARS. Malaysian officials say the 64-year-old man, who died in a Kuala Lumpur hospital on Sunday, last visited China and Singapore last month. Taiwan, Indonesia and the Philippines are among 14 places where suspected cases have been reported, but do not appear in WHO statistics. Because the disease is being carried around the world by travelers, many governments are advising citizens against visiting affected areas. In the Asia-Pacific region in particular, governments are imposing strict quarantines and urging citizens to wear face masks. Questions: 1. According to WHO experts, what could be the sources of SARS ? Possibly both the chlamydia and the coronavirus. 2. Where was SARS believed to come from ? China’s Quangdong province. 3. How many Chinese people died of SARS ? About 40 to 45 people. 4. Where did the first Malaysian victim travel before his death ? China and Singapore. 5. What did the Asian-Pacific governments advise their citizens to do ? They advised their citizens to wear face masks. Bài 3: Đọc bài đọc dưới đây và tìm một từ thích hợp để điền vào chỗ trống:
In the thirteenth- century Wales there was a handsome young prince called Llewellyn. He was very fond of hunting and used to go out (1)___ to ___ the forests and mountains with his favourite hunting dog (2) ____ whose ____name was Gelert. __ One _____(3) day, however, he left Gelert ____ at ____(4) home to guard his baby son who was only a few months _____ old __ (5). In the evening when the prince ____ returned _____ (6) from hunting he saw that his house was ____ in ____(7) a terrible mess. The furniture ____ had ____(8) been knocked over and there was blood on the walls. He could not find his baby son. Then he saw his dog Gelert running towards him, covered ____ with ___(9) blood. The prince thought that the dog had attacked and killed his son. He ____ was ___(10) violently angry, drew his sword and killed the dog with one blow. However, when he looked around his house more carefully he found his son lying under a chair, alive ____ as ____(11) well. Then he saw the dead body of a huge wolf. He realized that Gelert had ____ saved ___(12) his son’s life by fighting the wolf. The prince was horrified _____ with _____(13) the mistake he had made and when he buried the dog he built an enormous pile ____ of _____(14) stones to mark the spot, which can still be seen today. He never ____ went ____ (15) hunting again. PHẦN II: VIẾT Bài 1: Viết các câu sau dùng từ , cụm từ cho sẵn: Ví dụ: I/ try/ find/ better car/ you I’ll try to find a better car for you. 1. Sally/ cleverest/class Sally is the cleverest student in my class. 2. I/not/hear/them/speak/softly I couldn’t hear them because they spoke too/so/very softly. 3. Walking/rain/him/pleasure Walking in the rain gives him pleasure. 4. Travel/plane/expensive/than/train Traveling by plane is more expensive than traveling by train. 5. I/love/rich/famous I love to be rich and famous. Bài 2 : Viết lại các câu sau sao cho không đổi nghĩa của câu gốc: Ví dụ: The door was so heavy that the child couldn’t open it. The door was too........................ The door was too heavy for the child to open. 1. It’s ages since she last wrote to me. She ......................................... She hasn’t written to me for ages. 2. If the painting were to prove valuable, it would be a pity to have given it away.Were....................................... Were the painting to prove valuable, it would be a pity to have given it away. 3. The door was so heavy that the child couldn’t open it. The door was too........................ The door was too heavy for the child to push it The door was too heavy for the child to open. The door was too heavy for the child to push open. The door was too heavy for the child to open(it). 4. Why isn’t this TV working ? What .............................. ? What is happening with this TV? What is wrong with this TV ? What’s the matter with this TV ? 5. It wasn’t necessary for them to call for help after all. They .............................. They didn’t need to call for help after all. They needn’t call for help after all. They didn’t need to call for help after all. 6. The last time I played football was in 1990. I haven’t ...................................... I haven’t played football since 1990. 7. I invited my friend to have a cup of tea. I asked …………………………… I asked my friend if he/she wanted to have a cup of tea. I asked my friend if he would like a cup of tea. I asked my friend to have a cup of tea. 8. Janet is the best tennis- player in the club. No one ...................................................... No one in the club is as good as as Janet No one in this club plays tennis as well as janet No one in this club plays tennis as well as janet No one else in the club plays Tennis as well as Janet. No one in the club plays tennis as good as Janet. No one in the club plays tennis better than Janet. 21
No one in the club plays tennis as well as Janet. 9. He plays the guitar better than I do. I don’t ..................................... I don’t play the guitar as well as him/he does. 10. They have been living in this house for six years now. They moved ……………… They moved in this house six years ago. Bài 3: Dịch các câu sau sang tiếng Anh: 1.Ông Tâm bỏ thuốc cách đây 2 năm. Ông vốn hút đến 40 điếu mỗi ngày. Mr.Tam gave up smoking two years ago. He used to smoke 40 cigarettes a day 2.Mình nghĩ Bình sẽ rất thích món quà bọn mình mua tặng cậu ấy. I think that Binh will like the present that we bought for him 3.Khi nào con làm bài tập xong chúng ta mới đi dạo. We will not go for a walk until you finish your homework 4.Lúc ấy điện thoại reo thế mà tôi chẳng nghe gì cả. Chắc tôi đã ngủ thiếp đi. I didn’t hear the phone ring. I might have fallen asleep 5.Tôi lấy làm lạ là Nam không đi họp. - Có lẽ cậu ta quên khuấy mất ấy mà. It is strange to me that Nam did not got to the meeting. He might have forgot it SESSION NINE : QUÁ KHỨ HOÀN THÀNH- QUÁ KHỨ ĐƠN- QUÁ KHƯ TIẾP DIỄN- QUÁ KHỨ HOÀN THÀNH TIẾP DIỄN 1. John and I went for a walk. I had difficulty keeping up with him because he (walk) so fast. 2. Mary was sitting on the ground. She (be) out of breath. She (run). 3. When I (arrive) Kate (wait) for me. She was rather annoyed with me because I was late and she (wait) for a very long time. 4. We were extremely tired at the end of the journey. We (travel) for more than 24 hours. 5. After she (spend) all her money she (ask) her father to help her. 6. Class (already, begin) by the time I (get) there, so I quietly (take) a seat in the back. 7. It was midnight. I (study) for five straight hours. No wonder I was getting tired. 8. It was raining hard, but by the time class (be) over, the rain (stop). 9. He (keep) looking at her, wondering where he (see) her before. 10. He (sit) on the bank fishing when he (see) a hat floating down the river. PHẦN I: ĐỌC HIỂU: Bài 1: Chọn từ thích hợp để điền vào chỗ trống trong câu (mỗi từ chỉ được sử dụng một lần, có từ không được sử dụng ): TERRIFIED ARRIVAL POLITICIAN POEMS MISUNDERSTOOD EXPECTATIONREFUSE CRIMINAL EMPLOYER REASON UNFORTUNATELY 1. I’d love to come to your party, but ______ unfortunately ______, I have to go somewhere else. 2. John Jameson is a famous ____ criminal _____ who stole five million pounds from a bank. 3. Churchill was not only a famous ____ politician ____ but also a respected historian. 4. He has very high ______ expectation _____ of his only son. 5. Roy was dismissed after being told by his ____ employer ____ that he must leave in a month’s time. 6. He regularly writes ___ poems ______ for our newspaper. 7. The _____ arrival ____ of the new guest caused trouble to my aunt. 8. Sorry about the mistakes. I ______ misunderstood _______ the instructions you gave me. 9. Many people still _____ refuse ____ to believe that smoking is harmful. 10. My wife is ______ terrified ______ of spiders. Bài 2: Đọc các bài đọc dưới đây và trả lời các câu hỏi kèm theo: I.
A tiny village school is soon to celebrate its 110 th birthday . Five years ago it seemed certain to close but parents and other villagers fought the local education authority and raised funds to keep it open. It is now ending its first term as a school run by the village community and the villagers are proud of their achievement. They were furious when education chiefs tried to make them send the village children to other schools further away because the number of pupils at the village was too small. The villagers started a huge campaign to raise money. They collected enough to hire a teacher and begin to help with school cleaning, lunch supervision and lessons. Now the school is doing well and it seems as if it will continue to run in the future. Questions : 1. What effect would the closure of the school have had on the village children ? They would ne sent to other schools further away. 2. Where did the parents get the money they needed to keep the school open ? From a huge campaign to raise money. 3. When did the village school first open ? 110 years ago. 4. What was the reason for the intended closure of the school ? Because the number of pupils in the village was too small 5. Why does the writer think the school will not now be closed ? Because now it is doing well. II. If you were to stop people in the street and ask them to name a ship that had been sunk, it is likely that nearly all of them would say the Titanic. For the sinking of the Titanic was, if not the most tragic, certainly the most famous sea disaster in the history of ocean travel. The Titanic was built as a luxury liner, intended to be the fastest in the world, and a great deal of publicity had surrounded it. The last point probably explains why so many important people from all walks of life were on the boat when it went down. The Titanic was on its maiden voyage to America in 1912 when it struck an iceberg and sank. Of its 2,300 passengers, more than twothirds were drown. Because the Titanic was thought to be virtually unsinkable, no one was prepared for the tragedy. There was total panic as very few of the passengers had bothered to learn the necessary drill in the event of trouble. There was severe shortage of lifeboats. The one point of calm was to be found in the ballroom when the band carried on playing right to the very end. Questions : 1. What do many people think about the sinking of the Titanic? They think it was the most famous sea disaster in the history of ocean travel. 1. It was the sinking of the Titatic. 2. Why did the Titanic sink ? It struck an iceberg 3. Where was it going at that time ? To America 4. Where was there seemingly no panic when the ship went down ? In the ballroom where the band carried on playing right to the end. 5. Why were there so many important people on the Titanic on its first voyage ? Because she/the Titanic was built as a luxury liner, intended to be the fastest in the world, and much publicity had surrouunded it III. Recently the World Health Organization announced that the disease of smallpox had almost been wiped out in most parts of the world, thanks to widespread vaccination. Most people are vaccinated at least once in their lives and if they wish to travel from one country to another they must be able to show a certificate proving that they have had a recent vaccination. In this way the disease has been prevented from spreading and today one seldom hears of it at all. This is mainly due to the remarkable discovery made by a country doctor, Edward Jenner, in about 1798 when he published an account of his experiments in a new method called “vaccination” ( from the Latin word “vacca” meaning a cow ). Jenner discovered that people who worked with cattle, like milkmaids and cowmen, were often infected with a harmless disease called cowpox which they caught from the cattle; but these people never seemed to get smallpox. So he experimented by making a scratch on the arms of healthy people infecting them with cowpox, and though their arms became sore for a day or two, they soon healed and none of these people ever got smallpox. Soon the news of the wonderful discovery spread abroad and people rushed to their doctors to be vaccinated. In America, at Gibraltar, in Spain, Egypt and China the simple scratch of the arm was performed on thousands of people, and the terrible smallpox began to disappear. Questions: 1. In what two ways do most countries guard against the spread of smallpox ? First, most people are vaccinated at least once in their lives, and second, they must prove that they have had a recent vaccination if they wish to travel from one country to another. 2. Who was Edward Jenner ? He was a country doctor who discovered the vaccination against smallpox 3. What is the Latin word for a “cow” ? “vacca” 4. What harmless disease were cowmen and milkmaids often infected with ? Cowpox 5. How successful has vaccination against smallpox been ? The terrible smallpox began to disappear. Bài 3: Đọc bài đọc dưới đây và tìm một từ thích hợp để điền vào chỗ trống: 23
A Frenchman, an Englishman and an American were boasting about ___ how __(1) fast the trains go in their countries. __ The ___ (2) Frenchman said, “In my country the trains go so fast that the telegraph posts by the line ___ looks ____(3) like a fence.” The Englishman said, “In England the trains go so fast that we have to __ pour ___(4) water on the wheels to cool them because they get hot and would melt.” The American said,” That’s nothing. You must come to America to see how fast the trains go there. I was once leaving __ for __(5) a trip and my wife came with me to the platform to see me ___ off ____(6). I got into the train and was standing at the window of my compartment. I ____ wanted ____(7) to take leave of my wife as the train was just starting so I leant ___ out __ ( 8) of the window to give ___ her ___(9) a kiss. But the train went off at ___ such ___ ( 10 ) speed that instead I kissed a cow in a field six miles down the line.” PHẦN II: VIẾT Bài 1: Viết các câu sau dùng từ , cụm từ cho sẵn: Ví dụ: I/ try/ find/ better car/ you I’ll try to find a better car for you. 1. It/long time/them/decide/married It took a long time for them to decide to get married. It took them a long time to decide to get married. 2. If/emergency/ring/number If there is an emergency, please ring this number. 3. We/regret/you/application/not/successful We regret to tell you that your application is not successful. 4. It/believed/man/escaped/stolen car It is believed that the man has escaped in a stolen car. It was believed that the man escaped in a stolen car. 5. Cost/living/gone up/ last few years The cost of living has gone up in the last few years. Bài 2 : Viết lại các câu sau sao cho không đổi nghĩa của câu gốc: Ví dụ: The door was so heavy that the child couldn’t open it. The door was too........................ The door was too heavy for the child to open. 1. I dislike it when people criticize me unfairly. I object ……………… I object to people criticizing me unfairly. I object to being criticizied unfairly. i object To Being Criticized Unfairly 2. Robert is sorry now that he didn’t accept the job. Robert now wishes……… he had accepted the job ……. 3. You’ll certainly meet lots of people in your new job. You are …… to meet a lot of people in your new job …………. You are certain/sure to meet lots of people in your new job. 4. Mrs. Scott is proud of her cooking. Mrs. Scott takes …………… pride in her cooking …………. 5. It was the goalkeeper who saved the match for us. If it hadn’t ……………….. If it hadn't been for the goldkeeper, we wouldn't have saved the match If it hadn't been for the goalkeeper, our match would not have been saved If it hadn't been for the goalkeeper no one would have saved the match for us If it hadn’t been for the goalkeeper, we would have lost the match. 6. You can try to get Tim to lend you his car but you won’t succeed. There’s no point … in lending Tim's car There’s no point in asking/persuading Tim to lend you his car. 7. I don’t really like her, even though I admire her achievements. Much as I admire her achievements, I don’t really like her Much admiration on her achievements, I don’t really like her. 8. It’s thought that the accident was caused by human error. The accident is thought to have been caused by human error Bài 3: Dịch các câu sau sang tiếng Anh: 1.Trông anh có vẻ mệt mỏi. Làm việc nhiều quá phải không ? You look tired. Have you worked hard ?) 2.Tuần này trời chả chịu mưa. It hasn’t rained this week. 3.Chúng tớ đang lái xe trên đường thì thấy một chiếc xe bị hỏng, vậy là cả bọn dừng lại để xem có giúp được gì không. We were driving a long the round when we saw a broken car, so we all stopped to see whether we could help or not 4.Kim đang đợi khi tôi tới. Cô nàng hơi bực vì tôi đến trễ để cô nàng phải đợi lâu. When I came, Kim was waiting for me. She was a bit annoyed that I was late, so she had been waiting long 5.Bữa tiệc tối qua vui ghê lắm. Lẽ ra cậu phải đến mới phải. The party was so great last night. You should have come to the party SESSION TEN ÔN TẬP CÁC THÌ ĐÃ HỌC: 1. Ahmad (do) his homework before every supper. _ Has he finished his homework? No, he still (do) it. 24
2. As I (cross) the road, I (step) on a banana skin and (fall) heavily 3. Where ‘s the old man living now? He (live) with his married daughter. He usually (live) with her for six months every year. 4. He (speak) for an hour now. I expect he’ll soon be finished. 5. Why is she so quiet? She (think) of her family. She‘s away from home and she often (think) of them. 6. She (feel) sick after she (eat) a whole box of chocolate. 7. The thief (break) the shop window when they (dance) noisily. 8. We’re in September now, and we (do) a lot of work this year; we (do) a lot last year also. 9. He (feel) extremely ill when he went to hospital, but he (feel) much better since he (come) out of hospital a month ago. 10. You (open) the door for me, please?_ Yes, certainly. 11.She (get) married next month. She (choose) her wedding dress yesterday, but she (not choose) any other clothes yet. 12. What are all those notes for? You (give) a lecture? 13. Mr John (drink) a lot of coffee when he was working in the Middle East, but he (not drink) much since he (come) back to England. PHẦN I: ĐỌC HIỂU: Bài 1: Chọn từ thích hợp để điền vào chỗ trống trong câu (mỗi từ chỉ được sử dụng một lần, có từ không được sử dụng ): DISAPPEARED WORKS SLEEPLESSNESS WARM NOISE TRIAL DEATH SHOUTED RIDING PERFECTLY SLEEP 1. He suffered from constant _________ sleeplessness ________. 2. I understand _____ perfectly ______ what you are saying. 3. The ____ death _____ of the Hollywood actor, Jimmy Halton, was announced last night. 4. The fans ___ shouted _____ when their teams scored a goal. 5. How can I sleep when you are making so much _____ noise _____ ? 6. After a ____ trial _____ of three weeks, Jones was found not guilty of murder. 7. The noise got fainter as the car ____ disappeared _____ into the distance. 8. It was cold and we had to walk quickly to keep _____ warm ______. 9. One truth of ____ riding _____a bicycle is that it’s cheap. 10. Because of road ____ works ____, traffic was restricted to one lane in each direction. Bài 2: Đọc các bài đọc dưới đây và trả lời các câu hỏi kèm theo: I. Experiments have proved that children can be instructed in swimming at a very early age. At a swimming pool in Los Angeles, children become expert at holding their breath under water even before they can walk. Babies of two months old do not appear to be reluctant to enter the water. It is not long before they are so accustomed to swimming that they can pick up weights from the floor of the pool. A game that is very popular with these young swimmers is the underwater tricycle race. Tricycles are lined up on the floor of the pool seven feet under water. The children compete against each other to reach the other end of the pool. Many pedal their tricycles but most of them prefer to push or drag them. Some children can cover the whole length of the pool without coming up for breath even once. Whether they will ever become future Olympic champions, only time will tell. Meanwhile, they should encourage those among us who can not swim five yards before they are gasping for air. Questions : 1. At what age can children be taught to swim ? At a very early age 2. Are children of two months old willing to enter the water ? No 3. What popular game do these young swimmers play ? The underwater tricycle race. 4. How do most children in the game reach the other end of the pool? Most of them push or drag their tricycle. II. Environmental pollution is a term that refers to all the ways by which man pollutes his surroundings. Man dirties the air with gases and smoke, poisons the water with chemicals and other substances, and damages the soil with too many fertilizers and pesticides. Man also pollutes his surroundings in various other ways. Besides, people ruin natural beauty by junk and litter on the land and in the water. They operate machines and motor vehicles that fill the air with disturbing noise. 25