Use a main verb from the first box and a preposition from the second box to create the answers below
1. The firefighters fought the blaze while the crowd
2. We all felt so tired after the first hour of walking but our guide told us we had to
if we wanted to make the inn by nightfall.
3. While the office computer system was being fixed, there was nothing to do so we just
4. If you don't know what that word means Jenkins,
______ (it) in the
dictionary! 5. I can't understand what you are talking about with this design. Can we it again? 6. I am
_______Julie to arrive with the stereo. Otherwise, we won't
have any music for the party! 7. Stop slouching in the chair like that
8. Many athletes use steroids to
9. I would like to
_______that there is a piece missing in this model.
Hadn't you seen it? 10. I don't like these types of rough games. I think I'll one) if you don't mind.
1. We need to _________________ early tomorrow if we want to catch the first bus into town. 2. And when we get into town, we can _________________ (straight) the first bank we see. 3. She didn't manage to _________________ anyone from the line-up as she had forgotten completely what the mugger looked like. 4. I will never _________________ to the expectations of my father. I can do nothing right in his eyes! 5. Candles usually _________________after about four hours. 6. When you get to the bank, don't stop, _________________ for another hundred metres and you will see the chemist's on your left.
7. If you want to lose weight Brian, you need to
most meat and all
that chocolate you eat in the evening. 8. The sniper _________________ the enemy troops one by one till they were all dead. 9. In this snow and ice, it's so easy to _________________. 10. She wasn't interested in his money. She _________________his sense of humour.
II Complete the sentences. passed away, do without, look forward to, called of, made up, carried away, break out, run out, put up with, keep up. 1. Don't smoke in the forest. Fires ____________________ easily at this time of the year. 2. I ____________________ seeing my friends again. 3. I'm afraid; we have ____________________ of apple juice. Will an orange juice do? 4. Your website has helped me a lot to____________________ the good work. 5. A friend of mine has ____________________ her wedding. 6. His mother can't ____________________ his terrible behavior anymore. 7. As an excuse for being late, she ____________________ a whole story. 8. Elen got ____________________ by his enthusiasm. 9. I just cannot ____________________ my notebook. I always keep it with me.
10. He was very sad because her father ____________________ last week.