None of the phones were left when we got to the shop.
-> _______________________ the shop, all the phones had been sold. 2. I didn't know it was Carl until he took off his hat. when Only his hat did I recognise Carl.
3. Don't waste your time asking Bryan to come with us. worth It's to come with us.
4. Perhaps John heard the story from Pippa. have Pippa might
5. Until they fire me as manager here, I'll run the company my way. long the boss, I'll run the company my way.
6. The school's management are investigating allegations of teacher brutality. into Allegations of teacher brutality the school's management. 7. It's not possible that you saw Mary last night, she was with us! have You last night, she was with us!
8. The beach was fun even though it was too cold. fact too cold, the beach was fun.
9. Many delegates stole pens from the conference room. were A lot of the conference room by delegates.
10. Immediately after Bess arrived home, the phone rang. sooner No home than the phone rang.
11. If his expensive divorce hadn't happened, Bill would still be a rich man.
for If it
divorce, Bill would still be a rich man.
12. "You won't get lost along the country lanes if you always have the map open." long He told them they wouldn't get lost had the map open. 13. My brother has great ideas all the time. comes My brother always ideas.
14. If that passing woman hadn't arrived, we would have been completely lost. for Had it , we would have got completely lost.
15. If I lose this job, nobody will let me forget it. live I'll if I lose this job.
16. They'll have to cancel the show if the audience doesn't increase. mean
A continued low audience for the show cancellation.
17. A phone call was the first we heard about them withdrawing from the concert. pulling The first we heard about of the concert was a phone call. 18. We need to run or the train will leave before we get there. time Unless we run, the train we get there.
19. "You really must stay for dessert," Kate's brother said to him. staying Kate's brother for dessert.
20. "A massage would do you a lot of good," Jake told Amy. from "You a massage," Jake told Amy.
21. Even if it's very far, they want to go to Paris for a weekend break. may Far , they want to go to Paris for a weekend break. 22. The town's population surrendered as soon as the enemy arrived. than No sooner had the enemy arrived surrendered. 23. This building stands a very good chance of being closed as unsafe by the council. highly It's will be closed by council due to being unsafe. 24. Another student stole Carol's watch from the classroom. had Carol by another student from the classroom.
25. I'm just about to give up this diet because it's not working at all.
this diet up because it's not working at all.
26. Please do those photocopies whenever you have the time. happen Please do those photocopies if the time.
27. If you really want to spend the whole night studying, there's nothing I can do. insist If you the whole night, there's nothing I can do. 28. The match will be postponed if it keeps raining. mean Further rain postponement of the match.
29. "I can't stand what his assistant said about me," said Barbara. objected Barbara the assistant said about her.
30. "Ian took the money, not his brother Dylan," Susan said. it
According to Susan,
took the money, not
Dylan. 31. The shop was closed for a week while they decorated it. done While it , the shop was closed for a week.
32. If Phil is having so many problems at school, maybe some private tuition would help him. from Maybe Phil would tuition if he's having so many problems at school. 33. They'll blame the failure of the festival on the weather. down The failure of the festival the weather.
34. When people speak down to my sister, she hates it. being My sister hates to like that
35. I know it's dangerous, but I love hang gliding. may Dangerous , I love hang gliding.
36. I'd prefer you not to stay out so late. rather I'd stay out so late.
37. I don't think it's important how fast we drive, we're going to be late. matter We're going to be late drive.
38. We paid someone to fix the roof for us last summer. had Last summer, we .
39. You should have spoken to Meg sooner. spoken If to Meg sooner.
40. "You played your music too loud last night," Jan said to Ben angrily. accused Jan his music too loud the previous night.